Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

looking for torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
cbash1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for torque specs

ok i am going to be redoing my rear drive train and was hoping someone knew what the torque specs of all the bolts inside the differental were so i dont over tighten or anything like that if you have a link that would be great or if you know i have been looking on google for it and cant seem to hit the rite links but ill keep trying til someone posts a link or knows also have been reading this chiltons book i have on the 98 jimmy also

thanks for all the help if i forget to say it again

Old 04-05-2008, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: looking for torque specs

Hope this helps
Fastener Tightening Specifications
Bearing Cap Bolts

75N·m

55lbft

Differential Housing Cover Bolts (7.6" Axle)

30N·m

20lbft

Differential Housing Cover Bolts (8.6" Axle)

39N·m

29lbft

Fill Plug

33N·m

24lbft

Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt (7.6" Axle)

34N·m

25lbft

Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt (8.6" Axle)

36N·m

27lbft

Ring Gear Bolts

120N·m

90lbft

Vent Clamp Bolt

17N·m

13lbft

Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Hope this helps
Fastener Tightening Specifications
Bearing Cap Bolts

75N·m

55lbft

Differential Housing Cover Bolts (7.6" Axle)

30N·m

20lbft

Differential Housing Cover Bolts (8.6" Axle)

39N·m

29lbft

Fill Plug

33N·m

24lbft

Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt (7.6" Axle)

34N·m

25lbft

Pinion Shaft Lock Bolt (8.6" Axle)

36N·m

27lbft

Ring Gear Bolts

120N·m

90lbft

Vent Clamp Bolt

17N·m

13lbft
thanks for the info now i can do it the right way this time.
what kind of back lash do i set the gears for if you know that? if there is any?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are reusing old gears and did not measure the backlash before you disassembled the diff, you are kind of out of luck. You could attempt to set back lash specs using the 0.005-0.009" backlash spec for new gears.

You need to first make sure that the gear pattern is centered on the tooth both forward and reverse. If it isn't, then you need to adjust your pinion depth. You should set pinion depth using an old crush sleeve as the spacer between the pinion bearings.

Once the pinion depth is correct, then you need to do the back lash test. You need to setup a dial indicator with the tip on one of the gear teeth. Move the ring gear until you are sure that it is hitting on the pinion gear and zero the indicator. Then, while holding the pinion gear fixed, rotate the ring gear until it contacts on the opposite side of the pinion tooth and note the backlash value. If it is outside of the spec, then you will have to move the shims side to side to bring it back into spec.

And that is provided that you already set the proper side bearing preload on the differential bearings.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

If you are reusing old gears and did not measure the backlash before you disassembled the diff, you are kind of out of luck. You could attempt to set back lash specs using the 0.005-0.009" backlash spec for new gears.

You need to first make sure that the gear pattern is centered on the tooth both forward and reverse. If it isn't, then you need to adjust your pinion depth. You should set pinion depth using an old crush sleeve as the spacer between the pinion bearings.

Once the pinion depth is correct, then you need to do the back lash test. You need to setup a dial indicator with the tip on one of the gear teeth. Move the ring gear until you are sure that it is hitting on the pinion gear and zero the indicator. Then, while holding the pinion gear fixed, rotate the ring gear until it contacts on the opposite side of the pinion tooth and note the backlash value. If it is outside of the spec, then you will have to move the shims side to side to bring it back into spec.

And that is provided that you already set the proper side bearing preload on the differential bearings.
well not using old gears ordered new gears from the local napa store and will be ripping my old set apart to put it all back together and install back into my 98 jimmy but wanted to know some specs on the back lash so i dont screw it up thanks swartlkk you have helpped emensly on this problem suv i have