Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need Help Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
tilley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Help Front Differential

I have a 1997 4dr Blazer with 4x4. i was driving about 70 then the car started to shake and what not. and my front wheels just locked up. ... towed home.. i found where the drive shaft connects to the front differential is broken i took the yoke out( pretty sure called the yoke) and behind it was a broken bearing and a messed up steel bearing holer(holds the *****). i need\ want to take out the differential the whole pumpkin and take it apart fix it check to make sure no loose metal is in the differential. what exactly do i need to do to take the pumpkin part off? cause its damage where the bearings were. do i need to take apart the wheel hubs? pull the drive axel out? what bolts come off? i just need to know what to do. its my daily drive and im struggleing to get to work

Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need Help Front Differential

So you destroyed a CV axle...

You'll need to pull both outer axle halves, then disconnect the front drive shaft and the front axle actuator cable (passenger side of the front diff). Once that is done, you have to remove the bolts that hold the front axle in (4 bolts I think).

Did it harm the diff or is it just localized on the outer CV axle? If just the CV axle, then I wouldn't go pulling the center section...

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Beginning Member
tilley101 is an unknown quantity at this point

the problem is where the driveshaft from the transfercase connects the the differential after the universal join so right behind the yoke. i just cant understand how to remove the differential pumpkin

Old 01-07-2008, 01:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I sent you some info via pm.
Hope it helps

Old 01-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Lets try to keep everything in this thread as to help others later on.

The CV axle will come out of the front diff. I doubt that it hurt anything in the front diff when it came apart. It sounds to me like you just need a new outer half shaft.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

if it helps at all heres a link to a thread that i was having problems w/ my 4wd and theres an exploded view of the front differential and drive axels https://blazerforum.com/m_120046/tm.htm