Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

needing help with front pinion bearing 79 k5

Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
383snowman is on a distinguished road

i have to replace the inner and outer front pinion bearing.can anyone tell me how to go about doing this.i know i have to remove both front axles but i'm lost from there.this is on a 79 k5

thanks in advance for the help

i guess no one in here knows about a k5 blazer.just the little s10 blazers huh

Last edited by swartlkk; 10-11-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well... You couldn't even wait 2 hours and posted in a general section... What a waste.

The first question that I have is... Do you know anyone that has that can help you? There is a lot of technical requirements to this job and some special tools/fixtures that are necessary and some that will make the job a lot easier.

The short of it is that you will have to pull both axle shafts and the differential carrier to replace the pinion bearings. You might as well rebuild the whole front axle if you are digging into it that far.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Starting Member
383snowman is on a distinguished road

no i dont have anyone helping me.just like the past 3 days i put a new floor in the back of it by myself .had a friend help me with that but never showed back up to help finish it.

i was planing on replacing all the bearings and crush sleeves in the front.i have tools any that you can imagine.and if i don't have it i have access to them.i mainly rebuild motors never messed with a front diff.this will be the first

after the axles are out and take the two holders out{one each side of chunk} i can roll the chunk out right..this is what i'm needing to know..

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Well... You couldn't even wait 2 hours and posted in a general section... What a waste.
well sense you are an admin you can move it to the rite section.i have never been to this site till yesterday.and i didn't even see the k5 section.all i see is stuff about little blazers

Last edited by swartlkk; 10-11-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the bearing caps get removed and then the differential carrier, or 'chunk' as you call it, can be removed.

Google "dana 44 rebuild" and start reading. Lots of information out there.

As far as the location of the thread... This section is applicable to the question. If you would like it moved, I can do so. My comment was more directed to your impatience which caused you to violate the rules of the forum...

Also, if you are asking for help, best to keep the snide remarks to yourself and try not to make diminutive remarks. Your choice of words could cause people that may know a lot about your question to just skip right over it.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

I agree and just looking for a new axle. I've pitched them for less