Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Pitman arm

Old 12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
cts258 is on a distinguished road
Default Pitman arm

how do you change the Pitman Arm on a 89 s10 blazer 4x4

Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the nut. Put the appropriate pitman arm puller onto the pitman arm and tighten it until the arm pops off.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 PM
cts258 is on a distinguished road

swartlkk you make it sound so easy..... i heard you cant get the puller on without removing other things

Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On some you have to unbolt the steering box to move it forward... But that is mechanics 101. If you cannot get access for the proper tools, take things apart until you can.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

This thread's been dead for a while, but I'll try to revive it with a question about what swartlkk said...

Is a 1998 blazer 4wd 4dr the kind of model on which you have to move the steering box forward? I am replacing the Pitman and Idler and was looking at it today. It looks like it'd be the only way to get a puller on there.

Is it kosher to use a hammer to tap a pitman arm puller to fit between the joints even if it makes the joint start to separate a bit?

Thanks in advance

More importantly, any idea where the bolts for the steering box are? Are they the ones that mount against the left side of the frame, there are 4 or so in a cluster there?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yes its the 4 on the left outer frame.

As for tapping tools with a hammer, just dont go hitting MY tools with a hammer.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Starting Member

Haha, these aren't my tools either...they're Autozone tools. If I can avoid tapping them into place I will.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
BDS_237 is on a distinguished road

The bolts are the three that bolt to the left side of the frame, easily accessible with the tire removed. And don't worry about tapping the puller on, if it starts to separate a little bit, it is only doing what it's supposed to anyway.

Also, FWIW I pulled my box off, and it really was not a big deal. Use a fork splitter to separate the pitman from the steering linkages, then just undo the lines on top & crimp slightly with locking pliers (the name brand escapes me momentarily), and then loosen the bolts in the frame. It is then pretty easy to separate the pitman arm from the box while it is in a vice.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Starting Member

Vise grips?

Ya my pitman arm came off pretty easily...but the box needs to be held steady or you'll never get any torque on it.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Banned
michaelross is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BDS_237
The bolts are the three that bolt to the left side of the frame, easily accessible with the tire removed. And don't worry about tapping the puller on, if it starts to separate a little bit, it is only doing what it's supposed to anyway.

Also, FWIW I pulled my box off, and it really was not a big deal. Use a fork splitter to separate the pitman from the steering linkages, then just undo the lines on top & crimp slightly with locking pliers (the name brand escapes me momentarily), and then loosen the bolts in the frame. It is then pretty easy to separate the pitman arm from the box while it is in a vice.
I just used the fork splitter to separate the pitman arm just like what you said but I am having a hard time doing it..

Last edited by michaelross; 06-28-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pitman arm