Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Pitman and Idler Arm Brands, Which to Choose?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road
Default Pitman and Idler Arm Brands, Which to Choose?

I am in the market for a new Pitman Arm and Idler Arm and am trying to decide what brand/s to go for. I don't need anything wild, so looking through Rock Auto's catalog, I generally just select brands from the middle of the pack (price-wise) unless I know what I want.

As these aren't hi performance parts or really even hi-wear, I did the same here. I'm thinking they ought to be same brand so they will likely fit well together.

Any pros or cons for the company Mevotech?

I've read Moog is good, but they're over twice as expensive. I mean the stock parts have lasted 12 years ('98), can I possibly go wrong?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mark_D
I am in the market for a new Pitman Arm and Idler Arm and am trying to decide what brand/s to go for. I don't need anything wild, so looking through Rock Auto's catalog, I generally just select brands from the middle of the pack (price-wise) unless I know what I want.

As these aren't hi performance parts or really even hi-wear, I did the same here. I'm thinking they ought to be same brand so they will likely fit well together.

Any pros or cons for the company Mevotech?

I've read Moog is good, but they're over twice as expensive. I mean the stock parts have lasted 12 years ('98), can I possibly go wrong?
i would suggest just calling up your local NAPA and getting whatever is midrange there....theres not too much that can go wrong with these parts besides general wear...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Starting Member

Word up, thanks!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, But i know that Moog makes alot of hi-quality parts.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
TreasonAgainstCaesar is on a distinguished road

When I priced the idler arm at napa, they had 1 for about $30 and another for about $60. I've heard really good things about the stuff from www.powerperformancemotorsports.com So I just ordered my idler arm from them. It was only $42 shipped, and is supposed to be really high quality.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Starting Member
wheelhead4x4 is on a distinguished road

I pick up the dural last ones from auto zone an they are working just fine for me

Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

deleting all my posts

Last edited by jsmz; 05-31-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the input! Rather than buy stuff online from various places (because I want to use the same brand parts for things that join each other), I'm just going to Napa today to get everything. I expect, based on their prices, they will be selling the better brands. Either way I know which to look for (moog, trw, other pro grade models)

Is changing the idler and pitman on a 4WD going to be difficult to access? It looks like I'm going to have to take off the plastic undercover, and hopefully there wont be anything else in the way under there.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

deleting all my posts

Last edited by jsmz; 05-31-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:25 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jsmz
the idler arm is pretty easy & straight forward. Easiest thing to do about the pitman arm is to take the steering box out, then take it off with a gear puller & impact wrench.

no, no, no!

if you don't have apitman arm puller, borrow (loan-a-tool program) one and do it right.

i've seen guys wreck their steering box output shaft & seal using the gear pullers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pitman and Idler Arm Brands, Which to Choose?