Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bravada 1-piece axle swap?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member
HHimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada 1-piece axle swap?

Found this on another sight:

"I wouldn't worry about lockout hubs. The mass of the CV shafts is negligible compared to the tires and other driveline parts. The way the front diff is designed the pass axle is 2 parts, and uses a vacuum solenoid to engage the pass side to the diff, which is spinning in conjunction with the driver side. Yes, 25lbs of metal are spinning at all times. But when people swap over to the Bravada pass. axle, which is one piece, leaving the whole assembly rotating, and see no drop in mpg, I'm inclined to believe that the full weight of the truck (4000lbs) doesn't care about 25lbs rotating under. "
Now my question is this: to do away with the cable setup for the front right axle on the 94 Jimmy, will putting in the Bravada 1-piece directly bolt in, or is there too much involved? Is it possible to ride with the front right axle engaged constantly with no drop in MPG, or is the info just false? I would like to do away with the cable all together, but i fear the 2-piece axle wont hold up to constant engagement at all speeds, even with no power to the front diff. Any help would be great!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

It is a straight bolt in mod with no ill effects. There is a difference in the CV shafts between years on the Olds and Chev/GMC's. I don't recall the year change, but older years are bolt on flanges to the front diff and later years are splined shafts that slip into the front diff.

You will also need to fab up a plate to cover the hole that will be left in the front diff when you delete the cable coming down from the actuator.

I've got a Bravada shaft coming in the mail and will be installing it shortly after receiving it. I'll be able to give you better particulars once I get it installed.