Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

rag joint steering coupler

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 PM
bbt8831 is on a distinguished road
Default rag joint steering coupler

hey can anyone tell me if the rag joint on the end of the steering shaft on 1995 GMC Jimmy 4x4 can be replaced or do I need to replace the shaft? This is a new body style 2nd gen with an orange/red boot on the shaft so I assume it's colapsable. I'm not having much luk getting the shaft to seperate from the box and the old joint/coupler is riveted together. Any help or a step by step would really be appreciated. I'll kep trying but my son's got to get back to school tomorrow and I don't want ti sent off half done... Thanks Brian

Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

pretty sure you have to get a new/used shaft if you tear that joint. But im not 100% positive.

I am amazed your having trouble getting it off the steering box. Once you loosen the pinch bolt at the steering box end of the shaft, you should be able to pry it off with a screwdriver rather easily.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely can be replaced without getting a new shaft. Finding the part though... Many places call it by a different name (which I cannot recall at the moment). It should be available in the help section of your nearest Autozone though. It just bolts in.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
bbt8831 is on a distinguished road

I've got the "help" part here. I got the whole intermediate shaft out now and am grinding the heads off the rivets. I'l have to get some bolts to sandwich in the new rubber rag and hope that works. Does this sound right to anyone? Otherwise I'll have to hit some yards tomorrow to find a complete replacement hopefully with a better joint. SWARTLKK, you are always very helpful to everyone on here, myself included, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Anyone have an opinion on Nylocks over lock washers? Again my thanks to all that reply...Brian

Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't use either. I would get true lock nuts (the kind that are deformed on one end) to keep things locked together. I would also recommend that you use some red lock-tite.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

I've replaced mine 2x now. My 1st replacement was it the Help part, that lasted about 2 years and needed replacement again. This last time I went with the Flaming River U Joint and was well worth the extra $!! The first time I replaced mine with the Help part I used nylon nuts with locking washers and worked great, just don't tight them down to tight or you'll get a "moaning" noise when you turn.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

would you happen to have a link to the u joint you used? I see they list quite a few.

EDIT: never mind. here is a how to write up with pictures & part number for the joint
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f178/h...ng-mod-395639/

Last edited by jsmz; 12-14-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Peco
I've replaced mine 2x now. My 1st replacement was it the Help part, that lasted about 2 years and needed replacement again. This last time I went with the Flaming River U Joint and was well worth the extra $!! The first time I replaced mine with the Help part I used nylon nuts with locking washers and worked great, just don't tight them down to tight or you'll get a "moaning" noise when you turn.
X2 on using the Flaming River U-joint