Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear axle shaft seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Clint_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Rear axle shaft seal leaking

I have a 2002 2wd Blazer with a rear axle seal that is leaking. I figure I will be able to fix it myself however I was wondering if anyone has done this and could detail what I need to do. In addition I will be changing the bearing at the same time and would like to know if anyone has a part number.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You will be disassembling a lot of the rear axle housing. You will need to determine your rear end size in order to purchase a differential cover gasket (and the cover if you decide). Most likely you have the 7.625" rear but check to be sure.

• Necessary safety steps: chock wheels, jackstands, etc.
• Remove wheels.
• Remove calipers and hang them up and out of the way (I like to use a bungee cord).
• Remove rotors.
• Remove differential cover, allow gear oil to drain into drain pan. There may be a brake line that is clipped into one or two of the bolts holding the cover on. These can be fun to move around. Clean the magnet off while you're there.
• Remove the pinion shaft bolt.
• Remove pinion shaft.
• Push axles in (one at a time) to access c-clips.
• Using a mechanic's magnet remove the c-clips.
• Carefully slide the axles out of the housing.
• Since you're replacing the axle seals you can use the tip of the axle for leverage to pry the old seals out or you can get creative with a screwdriver/tire iron/etc. being careful not to damage/score any surrounding areas.
• Rent a slide hammer if you don't already have one to remove the bearings. There are instructions in the kit.
• Use brake parts cleaner to clean everything up.
• Install new bearings.
• Install new axle seals.
• Scrape old gasket off differential housing if you haven't already. Brake clean this as well. Needs to be perfect for a good seal.
• Carefully slide axles back in.
• Reinstall c-clips.
• Reinstall pinion shaft.
• Reinstall pinion shaft bolt.
• Two options for differential cover gasket: 1 - Use RTV and bolt differential cover on, wiping away excess RTV (You will have to wait until the RTV cures before you refill with gear oil) or 2 - Buy a new differential cover gasket. If you get a new gasket, put a few tiny dabs of RTV on both sides of it so it will stick to both the housing and the cover.
• Bolt differential cover (with gasket) on, 28 ft/lbs torque.
• On the front of the rear differential, passenger's side there is a fill hole. Use your 1/2" drive extension to fit in that hole and loosen the fill plug.
• Get creative to empty almost 2 quarts of the finest synthetic gear oil you can find (Mobil 1/Royal Purple) in 75w90 weight and reinstall fill plug.
• Reinstall rotors/calipers/wheels.
• Grab a cold one and enjoy peace of mind!

This link (Kyle's) should prove to be more than helpful:

Rear Axle Service

Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM

thanks a bunch, the only other question i have is that when i am trying to order the bearings and seals it asks for the forth digit axle letter (either c or k)... but i am having difficulties trying to find that code anywhere on the rear axle...any guidance would be useful

Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I got my bearings at Napa in-store. Advanced Auto didn't carry them. Just told 'em the specs on my truck (year/make/model/drivetrain/rear size) and they gave me the parts. I don't recall needing any numbers off the axle.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 AM

hmm... when i went to order them online it wanted to know whether it was canadian or american made based on the 4th digit letter code of either a c or k. It says that it should be stamped on the axle tube however i cannot seem to locate it.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
BF Veteran

You can check your door sticker for that. Mine was made in Linden, NJ.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Starting Member
Les McConnell is on a distinguished road

My 2002 4.3L 4x4 blazer rear axle right seal failed, I tried to push the axle in to pull out the c-ring, but I can get the axle in far enough to pull it out. Any suggestions ? The bearings still look good. No metal shavings.

How do I determine what size rear axle is on my 2002 4x4 4.3L blazer to buy the correct bearings ?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you were trying to push the axle in, you already pulled the cross pin, correct? Also, did you try pushing the spur gear back into the diff carrier?

You can run a google search for "GM rear axle identification" to see images of the 7.625 & 8.5 rear diffs that were available to the s-series vehicles, but it is VERY likely that you have the 7.625 rear axle.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Starting Member
Les McConnell is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 blazer rear axle can't remove c-ring

I pulled the pin out, then rotated planet-terri gears to access the c-ring, then pushed the right axle in then held it in-place with a c-clamp, then used a screwdriver to move the gears over. The c-ring almost looks like that it's curves around like a clip. c-ring just barly clears the axle gear. I tried to hook it with a wire but can't get under it to pull it out and I can't use pliars to grab it either. I can't to move the gears any more apart. Very frustrated. Thanks for the info to determine the type axle.