Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replacing front axle CV boot (inner)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member
packrat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing front axle CV boot (inner)

Hello,

For those of you who have done this....

Well, it appears that the innerCV boot on the driver's side front axle is flinging out little globs of its grease as I drive. I've cleaned it off twice now, and can detect no visible splits/tears/etc.Something's allowing the light green-grey grease to coat everything in the axle's rotation path just at the point where the boot meets the inner bearing cup.

Is it possible to replace the this boot without removing the whole wheel/axle assembly? If possible, is this even advisable? I am NOT considering a split boot as a viable option.

If it's not even possible, then where do I start on something like this? I am fairly mechanically apt; I have already replaced both of the front bearing packages on this vehicle, and I'm thinking that I will have to revisit the bearing removal section in my manuals....

packrat1969

Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacing front axle CV boot (inner)

The only way to do it without removing the CV axle is to use a split boot, which I wouldn't advise. Given the difficulty and tools required for crimping the bands back on, I would recommend you get a remanufactured axle. If you have the crimping tool or access to one, it really isn't that bad.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 PM
98BlazerLT4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Replacing the boot when the axle is out of the car is easy. The crimping tools are cheap and you could even rent one at Autozone if need be. Some bands don't use the traditional band tool but the regular bands are easier to deal with.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
blazinrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to replace my inner boot also how does the inner axle detach from the diff. thanks Rick

Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member
Clay_Assassin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. Both inner boots are shot, spraying grease everywhere. What I have learned so far:
A nice boot will cost $17 bucks, plus the effort to replace it. Replacement is a big job. Get the driveshaft out, then rebuild the shaft and replace the boot. You may need some special tools for the boot clamps, etc. I was able to buy a rebuilt shaft for $65.00. Although core charge is $75.00 for one side and $100.00 for the other.

The manual says to line up a peice of wood on the joint, and hit the wood with a hammer, popping the shaft out of the carrier. I haven't tried this yet, but it doesnt seem to be too bad. The removal looks like a challenging job. It indicates seperation of both ball joints to get the shaft out. I will likley try one side this weekend assuming the weather cooperates.