Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Severe Front End Float

Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member
Xk49 is on a distinguished road
Default Severe Front End Float

I just purchased a 1996 Blazer LS with only 27k miles on it. The car is in show room condition with the exception of some minor surface rust on the under carriage. It was a one owner (female) , she kept it a garage most of its life. Every seemed fine on the test drive with the exception the truck dips and dives like a mid seventies Cadillac with a bad suspension. I haven't had it checked out yet, but first thought was shocks might be shot given the age. After reading a couple of post here, I think the shocks might be the tip of the iceberg.

I just can't see why anything else would need replacing given the low mileage that would cause this problem. It even dives and bobs on sharp corners(especially when you hit a bump). Truck feels great going around town until you hit a bump.

No signs this vehicle has ever been in an accident. Based on the couple of threads I pulled up this seems to be somewhat common with the float. I can't believe it drove like this from the factory?

The only other thing that's a little funny is the steering wheel is no completely straight when driving down the road. The truck goes straight down the road, it's just the steering wheel is cocked like a half inch to the left. There's no pressure on the wheel, it's just cockeyed when going straight.

The threads I read seemed like everyone was on a fishing game trying to correct this, but I really didn't see any consensus on the cause or if anyone actually corrected it. I bought this truck for my daughter and I won't let her drive it in this condition.

Any advice?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I would start by replacing the shocks and the idler arm. Then check the ball joints and tie rods. Basically shake down the front end. Then get an alignment.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
aa21830 is on a distinguished road

Also check the sway bar links in front - sounds kind of like how a truck might drive without the sway bar attached. That combined with worn out front shocks, I would definitely expect some float.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Just went through this.. see pictures:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/suspen...alizing-69476/

The front sway bolts rust down to nothing inside the bushings. Use this occasion to make sure your Tbars have the front end setting level.

Used NAPA masteride $14 because they were exact same as the Napa chassis parts, and only Rubber bushings would be worth paying more. The AC Delco part image looks exactly the same. Dunno if the bushings are rubber or not and Chev parts guy couldnt tell me.

The wife says it rides and handles much better than before the link broke

Heh.. these things come in groups and I got to be first for once. Seriously.. an easy fix once you grind off the plastic spacer.. thoguh perhaps not there on a your truck.
Dont even have to jack it up.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-29-2012 at 06:12 PM.