Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

shaking, vibration,wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
tvitale is on a distinguished road
Default shaking, vibration,wobble

Trying to figure out what I would call a shake in my 2004 4 dr 2wd Blazer.
Read alot of threads about this issue but I haven't quite figured out if anyone has had them resolved.
Purchased this vehicle summer of 2011 it had 58k on it now has 60k, it was a repo and the tires were wasted had a wiggle or shake at low speed didn't drive on highway but figured new tires would fix.
Purchased 4 new goodyears balanced and front end inspected shop said alignment dead on still has shake. I noticed a popping noise when turning the wheel, lower ball joint,replaced all 4 still does it found a stripped out front caliper bolt, replaced still does it. Rebalanced, rotated tires to see if it would change, it didn't. The shake is very mild at low speeds and increases on the highway nothing consistent sometimes better than others. Drove behind to see if tires were bouncing didn't notice anything.
When driving dash shakes, floorboard, and seat but not the steering wheel.
Checked u joints, replaced tranny mount still no resolve.
Can anyone help had it to 2 diffent shops and still shakes, wobbles whatever you want to call it drives me crazy.
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

Don't know if it's your problem. But I have rear disc brakes on my blazer. And I had a brake caliper start dragging really bad 2 weeks ago. It got so bad that my wife asked me "Do we have a flat tire?". It felt like the truck wobbled at low speed taking off from a stop light. And at highspeeds was almost like an out-of-balance tire on the back. And weird enough... I was only seeing maybe 2mpg difference on my overhead display. Hope my story helps you.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Starting Member
stanleydial is on a distinguished road

did you check your control arm bushings?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you see the worn ball joints yourself? At 100K our 2002 2WH did the same popping but a grease job fixed it and at 193K miles the front end is tight. Did you run the VIN and confirm the mileage or is just what the display is currently reading out?

At true 58K mile vehicle should be in new like condition and nothing stripped about the braking system.

Now the 1998 S10 project truck we just picked up with 524K road miles just had new front end wear points replaced and an new end to end drive shaft system not too long ago by the looks and label on the drive shaft system.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Starting Member
jtf2001 is on a distinguished road

try checking your idler arm..i had the same problem replaced idler arm n pitman arm n problem was solved

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM
tvitale is on a distinguished road

Thanks 4 the replies, I will have to look into rear brake suggestion. Idler and pitman seem tight but they are cheap to replace, I believe might jus do it. Can u inform good way to ck contol bushings.
The tire shop supposedly ckd front end when they ckd alignment said all was good.
The lower passenger ball joint would poop and grease zert would shift when wheels were turned even after lubing. I replaced all 4 just 4 peace of mind.
When I purchase the vehicle had credit union run carfax and that was the original miles. I was baffeled by stripped right front caliper bolt myself, threads were flat and bolt was rusted found it when I replaced the ball joint.
Again thanks! And I will keep posted.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

I have an 04 too that has a similar issue. Mine vibrates/shakes at 65-80mph range only. Put truck on four jack stands to try and figure it out. In 2hi were only the rear wheels were turning no shaky but i then put in 4hi to spin all for wheels and there it was the shakes and vibration. I replaced both wheel hubs no change. Im still tryin to figure it out. I need to put up on stands again to check it out just been too busy.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TMM217
I have an 04 too that has a similar issue. Mine vibrates/shakes at 65-80mph range only. Put truck on four jack stands to try and figure it out. In 2hi were only the rear wheels were turning no shaky but i then put in 4hi to spin all for wheels and there it was the shakes and vibration. I replaced both wheel hubs no change. Im still tryin to figure it out. I need to put up on stands again to check it out just been too busy.
Quite often the tires. On 4 stands.. easy to rotate them
Then driveshaft, then CV's

Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Well not tires had them rotated/ balanced twice. I am the second owner so not sure if u joints have been replaced. Do stock u joints have grease fittings cause mine have. How u determine if cv is bad ,no tears or grease leakage?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd start by lifting the front of the vehicle, grab a front tire top & bottom & see if it moves back n forth. Repeat that with the left & right sides of the tire. If the left & right move it's steering linkage, tie rod ends, idler &or pitman arm. If the top & bottom move it's more likely ball joints, but you;'ve just replaced them.
The shop that checked out the front end - are they reputable? I ask because if they checked it out, said it was OK & you STILL have issues then you should look at the drive shaft - missing counter weight (you might notice this by the "cleaner" area where the weight was) or rear end - brakes, bearings etc.

MAYBE you have a warped rim? I know you looked for wobble etc but drive behind & look specifically for tire rotation wobble. Could be a warped/bent rim or unbalenced/improperly balenced tire.
To my knowledge (lol that's funny) stock u-joints don't have zerks on our rides.

Quick Reply: shaking, vibration,wobble