Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

shift on the fly??doesnt seem like it

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 PM
skitzobmxr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shift on the fly??doesnt seem like it

quick question.....it says in my owners manual that my 91 s10 blazers 4wheel is shift on the fly...i tried and it doesnt work only if i pop it into nuetral and then shift it, do they mean drop it into nuetral while im driving then shift and pop it back into drive?? because thats the only way it activates the 4wheel is if its in nuetral and when im in 4lo all 4 tires move without pressing the peddle but its ?sticky? they move and stop and repeat until i flip it into 2 or 4wheel high is that normal?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: shift on the fly??doesnt seem like it

Jake, is it a push button, or does it have a shift lever? As far as the 4lo problem is your idle high? I guess I did not really understand your problem with 4lo?.? Korey

Old 02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Read the manual a little closer! Shift on the fly is for 2hi to 4hi only.... you can not shift from 2hi to 4lo because of the complex mating parts...plus the gearing for 4lo would explode the transfer case and front diff if it was "Shift on the fly"....

Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM

i kno that about 4lo i ment 4hi and 2hi (in order to get into 4lo i have to go past the nuetral on the 4x4 shifter)
its the shifter not a button
i the problem is when i shift into 4hi driving it doesnt engage and sumtimes when i stop and put it into nuetral (on the steering column notthe 4x4 shifter)it doesnt or it takes a long time....my 4lo is easy to get into and works but when im sitting still the wheels try and grab without me pressing the gas and they
?skip? all 4 wheels will stop and go repeatidly

Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

When you pull back on the leverthe t-case isin 4wd, but the front axle has not yet engaged. To me it sounds like you have weak vacuum to the front actuator, or you have worn parts in the front axle that is not allowing the axle to engage while in motion. So I would check the vacuum at the front actuator first and see if you have enough, and if the actuator is moving freely without binding. I have seen the vacuumswitcheson the top of the t-case go bad quite a bit causing low/novacuum tothe actuator also. As for the 4lo, I'm not quite sure what that problem could be unless you have a high idle. because at a normal idle (600-800 rpm) there would not be enough torque going through the converter to make the wheels spin, unless you were on pure glare ice. Korey

Old 02-26-2007, 11:13 PM

ya so i got stuck in my friends yard today and my 4x4 wouldnt work at all...ive been messing with it a lot driving around trying to figure out if it will even work a little but it doesnt so i think im just going to take it into the mechanic cuz im not to car smart thanx for the help tho