Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Smoothing Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Smoothing Ride

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but figured it's a start.

As spring brings warmer temperatures I've started looking for problems with my Blazer, and thankfully she is running like a champ . However a winter of off roading seems to of taken a toll on the ride smoothness. I have no idea really where to start, and what is safe to work on in my garage and what I'd be better off sending to a shop to have done. So, how does one make their blazer not go kaboom on every medium sized and higher pot hole?

I've heard horror stories from friends working on their rides with the whole "Flying Springs of Death". As much as I want a smooth ride on the Michigan highways, I also want to live.

Not sure if important but the rear end seems to be the most effected by the rough roads, and sometimes my cargo gets launched when I hit a big enough pot hole at high enough speed. I am also carrying a fairly heavy tool box in the back, but the rough ride has been a constant since I bought the Blazer.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 03-26-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Brian Hinzpeter is on a distinguished road

Try replacing the shocks and suspension bump stops. I have hardly ever seen a blazer that has those in good shape. Also check your tire pressure I run mine at 32 psi to help smooth it out a little.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Starting Member

Little overwhelmed by all the options for shocks. What are good brands for normal driving with the occasional off roading? Based on how it looks on the S10 the rear seems to be a piece of cake, couldn't find a video for a blazer though. Are the Blazer and S10 the same setup?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Monroe

Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Starting Member

Found a few Monroe on rock auto.

Economy $16

Original Ride Quality $30

Cheaper High Performance $36

More Pricey High Performance $46

Since it only seems to be the rear that is having the rough ride issue I don't think I'll invest into front shocks just yet. Also it would seem the back are much easier anyways. Which should I get? I have the funds to get any of them as a set of two, so unless they are all equal or the difference is negligible I won't be getting economy. At the same time what is difference between the two high performance ones as far as ride quality goes?

Also, what are struts and what do they do? I am told elsewhere that those can contribute to the smoothness of the ride. I ask since according to rock auto if I buy 2 shocks and 2 struts I'll get $75 back in a rebate.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 03-27-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:02 PM
LoneWolf71 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by newguy
Monroe
Looking for the right shocks myself. Can you link us to some quality shocks newguy? And I don't want to skimp on them either. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:28 PM

I used the Rancho 5000 series for the front and the back. they are pricey but very worth it. And struts are just shocks that have a mount for the spring attached.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Hinzpeter
I used the Rancho 5000 series for the front and the back. they are pricey but very worth it. And struts are just shocks that have a mount for the spring attached.
Can you link us to that product? Yeah I am lazy like that. LOL

Old 03-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Old 03-27-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks Brian, Lucky and I are in need of 2001 - 2002 shocks. lol - newguy, how about linking us to some decent Monroe shocks. I like to see specs on a few options before making a decision. I do not want a bumpy ride. The Rancho's look solid and seem nice, but I am reading a lot of reviews that say they made the ride very bumpy?

Quick Reply: Smoothing Ride