Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Solid axle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Solid axle Swap

Gonna do a solid axle swap on my jimmy, just need some opinions what kind of axles I should get. I am going to do it with leaf springs so I need axles that take them. It is going to be strictly an off-road toy so no limits. Should I try and find some jeep axles or some half ton axles? If so what should I look for?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
skotti will become famous soon enough

this has definitly been discussed alot around here lately. search, search, and search.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

im running k5 blazer axles front and back. they are way wider then the s10 which is a good thing, your tires bounce off alot of stuff and save damage on the truck. but in reality you can pretty much put any axle out of anything under there

Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
ChevyBurton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Straight axle swap kit.

I'm in Duluth, Mn and Superior, Wi area. I have a straight axle swap kit for sale with a front axle that has to be rebuilt for it and with this you can get atleast 6'' lift if not more!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
ChevyBurton is an unknown quantity at this point

The sucky part on chevy old school straight axles is, the front trasfer case for 4wd is on the passenger side not the driver side like ford and dodge is

Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

I probably learned this lesson the hard way , but get at least dana 44s don't mess with the dana 30 if your going to only offroad , there basicly the same thing thats in the blazer already but with a solid axle . Check out my build thread if you like , I'm almost done with mine . And I just installed 35's on it today .

Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyBurton
The sucky part on chevy old school straight axles is, the front trasfer case for 4wd is on the passenger side not the driver side like ford and dodge is
true. i did forgot to mention that BUT! the unsucky part is the k5 transfercase basically just bolts underneith in place of the electric shifting s10 case. with no modifications. i think i even used my same rear driveshaft.

you just have to cut a big hole in the floor for the manual shifter lever

Old 04-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
91tbi4.3 is on a distinguished road

im using dana 44's from an 86 jeep grand waggy, if you going to run leafs make sure the mounting points on the axles are 31.5" apart. buy a kit from skys off road designs or ORD or make it yourself. dont forget about extended brake lines and a 2wd astro van box with a drop pitman arm. also if your going to put the axle under the leafs its best if you invest in high steer steering.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

im running full size ford dana44 and i love em. geared with 5:39 locked up and runnin 39.5" tires with no issuses........so far. lol. still runnin the 4.3L and 700R4 with stock trans case and itl go anywhere. 2wd astro van box and hi steer.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran

im kinda running the same as above but a bit different. using the astro box which was stated but with the stock arm, just machined to take the ends i used. my drag link is parallel to the ground so it worked out good. figure out how much lift you want first before seeing if you need a drop pitman arm yet

and instead of high steer im using 91 dodge ram knuckles on my chevy axle up front. the tie rod ends go in front the top so the steering arm is higher up then stock position... BUT the downfall is if you have to replace a tie rod you gotta lossen the u bolts on that side to get them out. i was to cheap for the proper high steer set up

Quick Reply: Solid axle Swap