Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Squeaking Front End

Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squeaking Front End

Ok guys. I am hearing a squeaking that occurs when I go over bumps. Also when I push up and down on the truck I can get the squeak. However the squeak will lessen or go away when its raining. Lately they are more constant and growing worse since the winter.

I was told to use silicone grease and do the brushings that its probably the culprit. I am a not a mechanic however I am sure I can get under the truck and spray what needs to be sprayed. My question is Can someone post a picture and point them out to me or navigate me to a place where I can see what I am spraying.

By the way I have a 1998 Chevy 4wd 4 Door Blazer

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Squeaking Front End

Good luck on this! I have the same issue and I have lubed and/or siliconed everything made of rubber or urethane under the truck without success.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

The most common front end squeek I'm aware of are the control arm bushings...usually the upper. I don't have a picture, but they are at the pivot point between the control arms and the frame.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
cbash1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had that problem on my 98 jimmy a while back i replaced the sway bar links and the squeek went away

Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a squeak very similar to yours until I changed my front shocks. Mine squeaked worse in the winter as for the rain well I don't remember if it was better when it was raining.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I've got a squeak that I thought was front end...turns out it's the parking brake cable where is passes through the frame right behind the driver's side back door. Might be worth checking all those cables that run under you!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, my 91 Blazer 4x4 has the same squeek that only occurs when I hit a bump. It sounds likea loose or missing sheet metal screw(s) is allowing the fender sheet metal to move againstsheet metal. I thought it was the bumper squeeking because I had a bumper bolt missing. I replaced the bolt and it did not do any good. I will get under the Blazer and beat around with a rubber hammer and see if I can locate a loose or missing sheet metal screw somewhere.

Don't use silicone (WD-40) to eliminate squeeking rubber grommets, it is only a two-week repair. The WD-40 will evaporate andthe squeeks will return. I think some sort of rubber dressing would work good.Something like Armor-All, Eagle One, or Meguire'stire dressings.The only real way to eliminate ruubber grommets squeaking is to replace them.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Duntov
Don't use silicone (WD-40) to eliminate squeeking rubber grommets, it is only a two-week repair. The WD-40 will evaporate andthe squeeks will return.
WD-40 is a petroleum distillate. It does not contain silicone.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Butts is an unknown quantity at this point

Moly lube or graphite spray if you can get right into the friction surface.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

I've got a squeak that I thought was front end...turns out it's the parking brake cable where is passes through the frame right behind the driver's side back door. Might be worth checking all those cables that run under you!
I just tracked a squeak to that same cable on mine, there are many simple fixes for that one. I think I'll start with being lazy and applying a little bearing grease.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Front End