Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Open rear end remedies

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open rear end remedies

I was unfortunate to wind up with an open rear on my 2WD'05' 5-Speed Blazer w/3.42 Gear. I plan on doin some hunting among a little off-roading this summer and need to get some opinions on a remedy so I can start searching for the best price. I did a search and it seems that a lot of people don't like their G80 option while others say it does the job fine. Do I have aftermarket options? If so what would be the most reasonable for 95% around town driving while not trying to get stuck during 5% fun time? I see the Dr Perry likes the Powertrax No-Slip Traction System, however it says it only works up to the '00' model. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Open rear end remedies

The rear ends didn't change at all the whole way through. Being a 5-speed, you have to determine what rear end you have. It is possible that you could have the 8.5" rear as opposed to the 7.625" rear that is most common. I posted a response to someone attempting to determine what rear end they had awhile back. There are differences in the diff covers, but if you already have it opened up, it should be fairly easy to determine.

Now, about the diff you have. Being open, you actually have more aftermarket alternatives that can be added. You can put in a limited slip diff into your open housing with relative ease. These rears are, for all intensive purposes, the same as that used in the f-body cars. As such all of the aftermarket parts for them will work with yours as well. Start by looking through SummitRacing.com and/or Jegs.com and once you have more specific questions, just ask.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you find out what rearend you have, order a POWERTRAX for it, its easy to install, about an hour or two tops and you dont have to worry about replacing the gears and dealing with the problems that arise with that IF you arent expierenced that kind of mechanics.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

If you don't do a lot of off-roading and what you do off-road isn't that serious, then the G80 would be... Okay for you.

Currently, I'm kind of partial to the Auburn ECTED unit, but that's only because I want a limited slip locker

Being that you have a 5-speed, you SHOULD have the 8.625" rear (apparently used in all 99+ trucks) but it should be stamped on the axle housing somewhere.

Since you have an open diff, you'll safe a few bucks when you get your locker/LSD put in... G80 people need to buy an open diff carrier, lol.

As far as I know, all 5-speeds got the 8.5/8.625" rear and iron front diff.

The only power traxx I was thinking of was for the front diff... But that's after I install super beefy idler & pitman arms... The stock ones can't take that kind of abuse.