Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering wheel has too much play, not safe!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Kojak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steering wheel has too much play, not safe!

Hello everyone,

I read some of the posts on "steering has to much play", but will you be able to clarify on the steps I should follow to smoke out the problem. Where should I start looking, what should I look for,things like that. Thanks in advance!

Kojak

Old 01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Steering wheel has too much play, not safe!

Um... I know I've stated this in many other threads on this subject. You need to look at all of the steering components.

Pitman arm - connects the steering box located on the inside of the driver's side frame rail to the steering link.
Idler arm - connects between the passenger side frame rail and the steering link.
Inner tie rod ends - found on both sides of the steering link connecting the steering link to the tie rod.
Outer tie rod ends - again, found on both sides and connects the tie rod to the steering knuckle.

You are looking for any play. You may need to have someone work the steering slightly while you inspect everything from underneith with the wheels on the ground providing resistance. Watch all joints.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks a lot swartlkk

I read the other threads but I just wanted a structured order on where to look first.

Again thanks for the help!

Kojak

Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Quick question,

I was looking at the steering system, and when I grabbed the steering shaft in the engine compartment, I could move it with ease, I was reading that it could be the rag-joint, is that likely?

Best Regards,
Kojak

Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

Draft a friend. Stick him in the drivers seat, turn the key on, but, don't start the engine. Open the hood. While you friend rocks the steering wheel back and forth, just enough to BARELY influence the front tires, YOU look for where the slop is. Might be the rag joint, might be the steering box, or, any of a number of other parts, listed above. Once you know where the slop is, you will know what ya gotta do.

If it is the box, at one time, I had seen a really good tech article on how to adjust them up, but, it required removing the box from the truck.... I will see if I can dig it up again.

Edit: Here it is. This is just some diagrams, but, it shows how to adjust the box. Should give all the info ya need, 'cept for the R+R the box.....

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks a lot, gonna get on it right away will let you all know what I find. Again Thanks!

Kojak