Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

steering wheel off center now

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Starting Member
sparky97 is on a distinguished road
Default steering wheel off center now

hello, just replaced the rag joint on my 97 S-10 blazer. It fixed the swaying when I hit a dip in the road, but now the steering wheel is turned to the right while driving down the road. It was straight before I started. Ayn help would be great, thanks

Last edited by sparky97; 03-13-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Most likely you will need an alignment done to center the steering wheel. They allignment shop can center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rod ends. I usually have sears do my alignments and centering the steering wheel is one of the items they adjust.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
KirkG is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me. I removed the u-joint and moved it counterclockwise a couple of splines. The set screw was still on the flat part of the shaft. I actually went a little to far, the steering wheel is a little left now. I need to turn it clockwise 1 spline and I should be okay.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

x2 on KirkG's comment, that's what I did last time I got an alignment, they didn't center the wheel perfectly. Just needed to move it one spline over and problem solved!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
Bowers is on a distinguished road

Can you guys tell me in detail how you realigned the steering wheel. Mine drives me nuts. its turned half way to the right when going straight. thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure this is a pic of an S10, but it will serve the purpose. The bolt that is circled needs to be loosened, this will allow the splines of the steering shaft to change position. Once the bolt is loose (making sure your wheels are aimed straight ahead), turn the steering wheel until straight. Then, tighten the bolt back down and you should be all set!

Attached Thumbnails steering wheel off center now-s10-ragjoint10_1067x800.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Beginning Member
bonecrush1 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the tip red 96. i was just about to remove the steering wheel to do the same. i just replaced the idler arm and pitman arm. the truck runs straight with the wheel off centered with no more play. i loosened the bolt and moved a couple of splines and the wheel is now centered as with the rest of the truck.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Starting Member
fvandenheuvel is on a distinguished road

would replacing and idler and pitman arm cause the steering wheel to be off center as described above?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fvandenheuvel
would replacing and idler and pitman arm cause the steering wheel to be off center as described above?
Same thing happened to me

Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Starting Member
Amtrak23 is on a distinguished road

When that bolt is loosened should the joint spin while on the splines or does it need pushed up towards the firewall, wheel turned, then moved back onto the splines?

I loosened the bolt, then took it all the way out and could not get enough slack to straighten the wheel. I then tried pushing the shaft towards the firewall to get it off the joint splines but could only move it about .5". Not enough to straighten the wheel without the gearbox getting engaged.

This is about as far as I could get it to slide up: https://i.imgur.com/DYrcm.jpg

Quick Reply: steering wheel off center now