Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

steering wheel off center now

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amtrak23
When that bolt is loosened should the joint spin while on the splines or does it need pushed up towards the firewall, wheel turned, then moved back onto the splines?

I loosened the bolt, then took it all the way out and could not get enough slack to straighten the wheel. I then tried pushing the shaft towards the firewall to get it off the joint splines but could only move it about .5". Not enough to straighten the wheel without the gearbox getting engaged.

This is about as far as I could get it to slide up: https://i.imgur.com/DYrcm.jpg

It needs to come all the way off

Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

this happened to me when i changed my spark plugs and had to move the shaft up some so i didn't have to fight it for the plug..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
turbowubz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Red 96'
I'm pretty sure this is a pic of an S10, but it will serve the purpose. The bolt that is circled needs to be loosened, this will allow the splines of the steering shaft to change position. Once the bolt is loose (making sure your wheels are aimed straight ahead), turn the steering wheel until straight. Then, tighten the bolt back down and you should be all set!
Hey I have the same problem Im looking at your picture trying to figure out where that bolt is, I looked under my jimmy (01 jimmy 2 dr) I cant see that bolt anywhere.. my steering wheel is a quarter way turned to the right when the wheels are straight but yeah can you tell me where that bolt is in reference to something like the rad or front or back of the engine?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You probably have the plastic cover still on the steering gear box.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Starting Member
GreaseMonkey1997 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by turbowubz
Hey I have the same problem Im looking at your picture trying to figure out where that bolt is, I looked under my jimmy (01 jimmy 2 dr) I cant see that bolt anywhere.. my steering wheel is a quarter way turned to the right when the wheels are straight but yeah can you tell me where that bolt is in reference to something like the rad or front or back of the engine?
Its underneath the air filter housing, should be four bolts to the housing and it opens it up so you can see underneath of it