Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Transfer Case Removal Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 AM
VRDriver4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer Case Removal Question?

Hey guys, quick question. I am in the process of removing the transfer case. I have the transmission cross member removed, do you have to remove the other cross member with the torsion bars running to it also? Or do you just have to fight the T-case to get itout? Thanks for your help. I did quite a bit of searching but no were did it state that.

Along with that another simple question. There was some transmission fluid in the transmission to transfercase housing. Is that OK? Not saying it was inside the transfer case just in the area between the two. Wasn't a hole lot, but enough to make me question.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
kellgp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Transfer Case Removal Question?

You can get it out with just the one crossmember out. It's a very tight fit, but it will come out if you get it just right. The biggest issue is the weight of the case, which makes it hard to handle while trying to get it out. I would suggest you have another set of hands to help.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Got ya! Thanks for the input. Hopfully she comes off easy.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Get a thick cushion or the rear bottom piece of an old car seat and a solid bar and lift up on the tranny mount or any solid point on the tranny and let the t-case drop. When you drop the x-member the engine and tranny drop as well so the t-case tends to bind on the tranny tail housing/shaft.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 AM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: kellgp

You can get it out with just the one crossmember out. It's a very tight fit, but it will come out if you get it just right. The biggest issue is the weight of the case, which makes it hard to handle while trying to get it out. I would suggest you have another set of hands to help.
x2 on the extra hands. When I dropped mine to replace a bad input seal I am really glad I had an extra set of hands. But to answer your question, yes it will come out, mine came out at an angle, I didn't think it would make it, but it sure did.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks for your suggestions I appreciate it guys .

I'm on day 3 of wiggling this thing and still can't get it out. I've went up with the tranny and down still doesn't provide me the clearance i need. When I push it towards the exhaust it is very close but it hits the exhaust. Starting to think I should have just pulled the tranny/t-case all as one peice like I did when I replaced the tranny, but thats alot more work.

I'm about to take some pics.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM

That's would be a lot more work. I'm trying to remember how exactly I took mine out, if I would have remembered I would have taken pictures of it to do a write up, but of course didn't think about it till I was done with it. Did you take the adapter off with it? I was going to take that off with the t-case, but instead ended up unbolts the t-case from the adapter and left the adapter bolted to the tranny, made it that much shorter and easier to take out.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM

Yep I left the adapter on the tranny and unbolted the t-case from the adapter.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Hmm...after looking at those pics I still can't remember exactly how I brought mine down. For some reason I want to say I set it up on the cross member behind the t-case (the one with the torsion bars) and turned/dropped it from there. Man I wish I would have taken some sort of documentation on it now.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Removal Question?