Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Trouble with Transfer Case ??

Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member
Don Green is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble with Transfer Case ??

Wealth of info here but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a 01 Blazer 4 Button 4x4 shift. Installed new shift motor on transfer case. It shifts through 4hi 4low. But I'm not getting power to the front drive shaft. If I give the drive shaft a twist backwards I can feel a little resistance and it will start to turn back in the proper direction and come to a stop.

Its a transfer case problem this much I know. Any ideas?

Last edited by Don Green; 03-29-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If, when the transfer case is in 4LO or 4HI, you can still turn the front driveshaft, you have a problem internal to the transfer case.

Do you feel a reduction in gear ratio when it goes into 4LO?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

Oh yeah, the gear reduction is there in 4low. Anyway the actuator could be out of time?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No not really.

There is a clutch on the front output. If that is damaged, it could cause no power to be put to the front axle.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Beginning Member

Makes sense. Low fluid have anything to do with it? Whats best for transfer case oil?

Thx for the help.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Low fluid may impact the clutch. It's worth a try. Your transfer case requires GM Autotrak 2 fluid available from the dealer.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member

Any diagram that shows where and how to check and fill fluid? Haynes manual i have is clueless in the transfer case chapter.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Administrator

There will be two large plugs on the back of the transfer case to the driver side of the rear output housing. The lower plug is the drain. The upper plug is the fill. Fluid level should be up to the bottom of the fill plug.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member

Great, sounds like the diffs in the wheelers. Thx for the help. I'll follow up.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member

Here's where I got today.
Local shop only had 2 jugs of oil. So I drained the old oil, was black but smelled the same as the new oil. Put in the oil and got power at the output shaft. Doesn't turn at idol but when on the gas it gets power. Left it on the stand and will get more oil tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble with Transfer Case ??