Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Truck wanders all over the road, won't stay straight

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 PM
bigpeet is on a distinguished road
Question Truck wanders all over the road, won't stay straight

I have a 99 Jimmy 4wd that began wandering a couple of months ago. It starts drifting one way out of nowhere. You can correct the wheel to point it straight again, and it may suddenly start drifting the other way. It goes back and forth, worse on the highway, but happens at all speeds.

I figured it needed an alignment, so I took it in for one. I described the symptoms, had it aligned, and then asked them if they found anything else wrong. They didn't, and I hadn't either. I noticed almost immediately it started wandering again.

I thought it might be the idler arm, but I can't get it to move by hand with the truck jacked, although the passenger tire will move from side to side about an inch. The driver's side doesn't move quite as much.

My father in law thinks it may be the tires. I put Firestone Destination ATs on about 6 months back. He said he's had a similar issue with certain tires on their Blazers. I had the same model tires on a ZR2, and had no issues with them, but that doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't be the tires, I guess.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any idea what I might check? I plan to rebuild the steering anyway with Moog parts one day, but don't want to do the whole thing right now.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

possibilties are Pitman arm, steering box or rag joint on steering shaft

Old 04-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If it's still wandering, there's something wrong and you need a good front end shop to inspect it for you. Other possibilities are: Upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, upper steering shaft u joint, inner and outer tie rod ends, worn wheel hubs/bearings.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Starting Member
99JimmySLE is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my 99 jimmy, but after replacing the steering gear box twice because remanufactured ones are crap, I have finally got a hold of a good steering gear box and it fixes the problem.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 PM
James Knight is on a distinguished road

Ball joints will cause that, very common.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
Tabethajean is on a distinguished road
Smile Truck wandering solution

My 87 full size blazer wandered like crazy. We changed all the steering components. Everything. Even the power steering pump and steering gear box. Finished it off with new tires and an alignment. Still had the problem. Finally took it to a shop and the guy said it was our ball joints. They needed to be adjusted correctly. He said not all vehicles have adjustable ball joints but mine did. So we picked up the adjustment tool for around $20. You use it with a torque wrench. Make sure you adjust it to the right amount, top and bottom. That's it. My truck drives straight! I hope this helps someone because we were stumped. Even the 1st tire/alignment shop we went to didn't know this little detail!