Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Upper control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:42 PM
wild bill is on a distinguished road
Default Upper control arm question

1990 2wd, the upper control arm bushings do not look the best and I was thinking of replacing them when I do the ball joints but they look like a real pain. Looks like have to take the starter off on the rt side, and maybe steering col. or exhaust on left side to clear the control arm studs. Do these studs come out so the control arm can come straight up and off ?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Eric Loiselle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wild bill
1990 2wd, the upper control arm bushings do not look the best and I was thinking of replacing them when I do the ball joints but they look like a real pain. Looks like have to take the starter off on the rt side, and maybe steering col. or exhaust on left side to clear the control arm studs. Do these studs come out so the control arm can come straight up and off ?
nah take off the ball joint how you normally would, jack and all, then Crack loose the bolts holding UCA on(they're self lockers and all I had was a stubby 18)theres some shims though br careful, now jam that UCA straight up exposing the studs underneath, they are pressed in but should pop out very easily, mine popped out while I was unscrewing them! The little rusted cover that prevents the bolt from turning can be pried off and hammered back on with a socket once finished, once those bolts are out the UCA practically falls out! 2 days ago I replaced the UCA with Speedway chromolybdenum tubular uppers, half inch longer upper ball joints and I flipped them as well, it fixed the alignment problem from my 3 inch springs and the old arms were on the bumpstops so I gained about another inch or 2

Old 02-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Looking at doing my upper's...quicker to get new control arms with bj's already in them?
Seen a set from 1AAuto for $80...worth it?

Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 PM

If you need just the ball joints they are not too bad to do, but getting the upper control arm off is a lot more work.