Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

What kind of a lift do you use? What changes did you make?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road
Default What kind of a lift do you use? What changes did you make?

Just today I passed by a mechanic shop and asked for a labor price on body lifts and he basically said he doesn't do it due to the safety issues that come with it and he in turn suggested suspension lift and that was kind of weird since I've heard body lifts put less stress on the car ultimately.. maybe im wrong.
Anyway he said for a body lift modifications need to be done to the steering which he strongly advises against it and also with brake lines. My original mechanic however said that the only thing that may need modification is the radiator hoses.. so id like some input from you people who have done body lifts as to what kind of modifications you need to do. Also... are suspension lifts all around more reliable?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

You can do a 2" body lift and don't have to modify anything at all! All of the lines will reach and everything.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Starting Member

So you are saying what he said isnt true? I dont need to worry about brake lines or steering at all?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Nope nothing to worry about with a 2".

Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The only modification I had to do after installing a 2" body lift was to make my frame look purtier. Since then I put on rock sliders so I no long worry how the frame looks.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

There is a current thread about the guy not being able to get his fuel pump running after a body lift. I wonder what he would do if he had to do it all over again.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Body lift is the way to go. get a friend or two and a Sat

Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Starting Member

Wow now I am getting different sources telling me the opposites which makes it hard for me to choose..
I might end up doing a 2 inch body and 2.5 suspension. I found this kit
2.5in Suspension Lift Kit for 82-04 Chevy 4wd S10 / GMC S15 [242N2] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®
Which seems to be good but I have a question regarding that. The shocks that come with the kit... are they designed specifically for the 2.5 lift or just in the kit to replace old parts? A while ago I purchased KYB gas a just shocks so I wanna know if I must replace them with these ones

Also between body and suspension lifts.. which one exposes the frame underneath more? Body lift I assume?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

body, correct

Old 05-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

The rough country shocks aren't great anyway, you should be able to use the shocks you have.
and x3 (or 4, whatever lol) for no issues with installing a body lift.

Quick Reply: What kind of a lift do you use? What changes did you make?