Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

What are some symtoms of U joints going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are some symtoms of U joints going out?

I think mine are going out what are some of the symtoms?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What are some symtoms of U joints going out?

When mine went out, they seized and made a real nice, loud squeaking sound when moving slowly (<40mph).

Just be aware that the factory used injected nylon to retain the u-joint cups on the driveshaft and front yoke. You will want to have a press and a torch handy to melt the nylon and press out the cups. I had a heck of a time getting the replacement u-joint in place in mine. Ended up very tight, but that was at the beginning of the fall and it's still workin' good. New cross has a grease zerk so I hit it every oil change.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Clunk going into gear, vibration in the seat of your pants on accell, and like Kyle said a squeak noise usually on accell also. When you do the joints, after getting them out like Kyle said, I file the inside of the yoke, where the c-clips will reside. Doing this will let the c-clip slide right in and have proper clearance for a free moving u-joint.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Kordog

Clunk going into gear, vibration in the seat of your pants on accell, and like Kyle said a squeak noise usually on accell also. When you do the joints, after getting them out like Kyle said, I file the inside of the yoke, where the c-clips will reside. Doing this will let the c-clip slide right in and have proper clearance for a free moving u-joint.
Thats exactly what its doing, and its also feels like its surgeing at speed (any speed). Looks like Ill be replaceing some U-joints on my Sunday. And thanks for the tips. Anyone else have any tips/suggestions?

Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Being a techit is pretty hard for me to admit this, but there is a drive-line component shop here in town that will install any u-joint they sell for free if you carry the shaft in to them.....It's a great thing....you drop off your drive shaft and go get lunch then go back, lay 10 bucks on the counter and walk out with your new u joint! I'd call around to see if anyone in your area offers this service. If not make sure you have that hot wrench like Kyle said....you'll need it.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Another tip is that if you do it yourself, don't drop any of the needle bearings. Work on a clean surface and have a magnet handy just in case.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 AM

Well I didnt end up doing it. I was at my dads house so I thought Id ask him what he thought. He didnt think it was the U Joints. So its going to our mechanic tomarrow. We'll see.