Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM
hunadiwhoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel Bearings

I recently posted about a rymatic sound i keep hearing. One of my friends said he tthinks it could be my wheel bearings. Does anyone out their know what i should be hearing if it is my bearing? Or Ball Joints?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wheel Bearings

Ball joints don't move in a circular fashion. It is like a hip joint (ball and socket) for the front A-arms and steering knuckles, they would not make a rhythmic sound. Best advice would be to take it to a front-end shop that does free estimates. As has been suggested on this forum before, take what they say with a grain of salt because they're out to make money. But they should be able to tell you if your bearings are going bad, or what's making the sound you're hearing. Here's a quote from a very helpful post (click):

"The signs of a failing hub assembly/bearings are:
Uneven tire wear.
Drifting.
Pulls to one side.
Grinding noise in turns at first, eventually all the time.
Some or all of them may happen.
To check the bearings.
Jack the tire off the ground. Grab it in the 3-9 o'clock positions and rock it back and forth.
Do the same with the 12-6 o'clock positions, and rock it up and down. You will feel the tire move. Up and down movement is almost always the bearings. Have someone look at the tie rods ends, idler arms, and ball joints while you rock itto rule them out.

Most alignment shops will do free front end inspections. Also if the beaings are shot, it wont easliy align. The machine will keep bouncing around and a decent tech will know there is a problem."

Hope this helps! Oh, and if you do need bearings, here's one place that sells US-made assemblies pretty cheap.