Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Zr2 Blazer and Zr2 S10 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
rodono is on a distinguished road
Default Zr2 Blazer and Zr2 S10 rear end

i've been searching for a zr2 rear end, when i call wrecking yards across my state all of them say the Zr2 s10 rear end wont fit in a regular blazer.
But after reading online and this site looks like they are the same.
Still havent found either one yet, but could i get some clarifacation on the two models?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

A ZR2 rear will physically fit on a non ZR2, but it will be 2" wider (Although I can't remember if it's 2" wider overall or 2" wider per side for a total of 4" wider than a non-ZR2 4WD rear). Also if you have a 2dr you won't have to worry about sway bars or brake lines but if you have a 4dr, both of those will be different than a ZR2. Some non-Z guys who are looking for a beefier rear trade up from the 7.625" rear for the ZR2's 8.5" rear, so it has been done before.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Not exactly what i was looking for. maybe i should clarify the question.
Is there any diffrences in a s10 ZR2 and a blazer ZR2 rear end?
in a computer cross refrence the two are not the same.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fairly certain they are the same.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The spring perches may be different, though they are basically the same rear end. I haven't compared them side to side but that would be the only difference I could think of.

And the ZR2 read end is a total of 3.9" wider than a non-Z rear end.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
I'm fairly certain they are the same.
nope.

the pick ups have a pan rod bar running from the left wheel up to the right frame rail.

but you're right about the 3.9" O/A width difference.

i have a pic somewhere that shows the PR bar................

ok, they're not on my HD, must be on my camera, which is dead & now on the charger. i'll check it once it's charged.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 02-26-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: pic update.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

That's right!

The trucks have the pan rod bar to keep the axle centered, the blazers have the anti-sway bar.

Thanks old skool!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM
BF Veteran

So can he take the pan rod bar off an S10 rear and put the sway bar from his existing rear on the new one?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AJBert
That's right!

The trucks have the pan rod bar to keep the axle centered, the blazers have the anti-sway bar.

Thanks old skool!
mmmm......i don't think that's why. not absolutely sure, but i think it has more to do with torsional twist during articulation.

none of the 1st gen trucks have a rear sway bar. neither does my 'Burb, any of the p/u's i've owned, and they stayed straight & true with just the leafs holding them in.

i've never really looked into that design too much, but maybe..........oh, what's his name now! you guys know, he has that seafoam green '96 Blazer, his wife has that Burgundy one. he was building those off-road bumpers with his brother (he's the one with the ZR2 Sonoma).

probably could've just done a search in that amount of time...........

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
So can he take the pan rod bar off an S10 rear and put the sway bar from his existing rear on the new one?
like i said above, i've never really looked to deep into the p/u's design. i just noticed that they were different from the ZR Blazer/Jimmy's since i've been under Brad's truck a few times.

should really look @ the build ZR'ed it! to see what all is involved

BlaziNator, that's the member's name!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM

thanks, thats what i was looking for, i finally found a ZR2 blazer axle but its 200 miles away to pick it up. I have a 5" BDS lift kit coming next week. Still gathering parts so about another month im going to start my build.

Quick Reply: Zr2 Blazer and Zr2 S10 rear end