Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Zr2 vs. Non zr2

Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would be great to get these pictures so that we can really see the side by side differences. I have seen them side by side before and the main frames do look quite similar. While the frame rails themselves may not be too much different, the fact that the LCA, UCA, and other ancillary brackets are in different positions does in fact make it a different frame since those items are welded in place.

And without that lower valence and "skid" plate, the truck would have a higher potential for overheating due to air being allowed under the radiator, pressurizing the engine compartment. The lower "skid" plate is more of an air deflector than it is a skid plate in everyday function anyhow.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

crap. Are you telling me the one cool looking thing i have done to my truck may infact cause it to suck now!? With no valance, and the little "plastic box" kind of thing that sits in front ot the radiator (reverse scoop i guess) i am starving my engine of cool air? The plate marry's up to the bumper creating the same basic idea (i though) but at a steeper angle...

What should i do to keep this pig on the road now? I can get away with the minimal driving i do now that it's cold, but i dont want to cook the damn thing this summer.

oh and but it's just for that one question, then im all about the ZR2/noraml side by side some more

Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
no one said the frame was wider old skool i said the axel is wider. as for the plate, it is LONGER i believe he said...
yes, someone did! when i pointed out that they wouldn't manufacture a different frame for such a limited amount of trucks produced, not one person corrected me on that point. i'm gonna look for it.................

Originally Posted by swartlkk
While the frame rails themselves may not be too much different, the fact that the LCA, UCA, and other ancillary brackets are in different positions does in fact make it a different frame since those items are welded in place.
that's what i was refering to, since all of the other points (U & LCA's, other ancillary brackets) are merely added to the assembley as it moves down the line, same as a 2WD front cross member would be welded in.

so technically, they're the same.

irregardless, i think we all know that the main difference is in the track of the ZR2, and the extra 2" in lift.

still, it would be nice to view when Logan can have his photographer buddy document the SAS with before & after pic's.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

And without that lower valence and "skid" plate, the truck would have a higher potential for overheating due to air being allowed under the radiator, pressurizing the engine compartment. The lower "skid" plate is more of an air deflector than it is a skid plate in everyday function anyhow.
I think that is a myth. I dont have the lower plastic piece( the one with the door for the oil filter) and mine was fine all summer. The temp was always at the normal spot no matter how i was driving.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
irregardless
if you want to call me out i'll play.... "Since the prefix ir- means 'not', and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."

Back to hijacked topic: i have yet to have a temp problem yet. But that doesnt mean it wont be the next in my laundry list of disasters here....

Back to Original topic: zr2 run down:
The ZR2 package provides a wider stance, special chassis, four-inch wider tread, underbody skid plates, Bilstein heavy duty shock absorbers, large wheels and axle bearings, rear axle track bar, 3.73 rear axle with 8.5-inch ring gear, and oversize 31x10.5 R15 Light Truck tires. Ground clearance is a generous 8.6 inches, which combined with the large tires gives a 23-inch step-up height into the cab. 3.73 rear axle ratio; ZR2 Wide stance suspension, heavy duty underpinnings.

WHEELBASE: 100.5 in.
OVERALL LENGTH: 174.7 in.
OVERALL WIDTH: 67.8 in.
OVERALL HEIGHT: 66.9 in.
CURB WEIGHT: 3,874 lbs.
FUEL CAPACITY: 19 gallons *slightly more than 4 dr* (but that is all 2 drs, not just zr2's)

Old 12-03-2009, 01:40 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

FUEL CAPACITY: 19 gallons *slightly more than 4 dr* (but that is all 2 drs, not just zr2's)
really? didn't know that.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 AM
BF Veteran

yeah i think 4 doors are 18.2 or 18.6 or something

read it somewhere.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I learn something new everyday!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

yeah i think 4 doors are 18.2 or 18.6 or something

read it somewhere.
That has to do with the position of the fuel tank. The 4dr's spare tire is located under the rear of the truck, which is where the fuel tank is on 2drs (since their spare tire is either on the rack on the back or inside).
The fuel tank on 4drs is skinny and long and runs up towards the driver side doors. The fuel tank on 2drs is big and square and sits right under the trunk area.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

It does not have larger wheels. Still a 15x7" wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zr2 vs. Non zr2