Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Another Reason Not to Street Race

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Reason Not to Street Race

They are cracking down big time, here in Maryland:

Md. Bill Could Put Street Racers Behind Bars

Click here for the actual bill, and input hb0425 in the search box.

Last edited by Psychropod; 02-24-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added link to actual bill up for vote.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I don't blame em for doing it. Most people that street race are idiots and end up crashing their rice rockets into other people

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree with cracking down on street racing due to it's inherent danger, you have to watch some of these bills. There are measures in some that allow an officer to cite you for "rapid acceleration", i.e. taking off from a stop too quickly, even if you don't break the speed limit or have wheelspin. I will do more research to cite specifics.

All it takes is a cop with an ego to use this 'excuse' to pull you over and snoop around even more.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I don't blame em for doing it. Most people that street race are idiots and end up crashing their rice rockets into other people
I mostly agree. The only issue I have with the bill is that it allows police to search your vehicle without a warrant, based upon the suspicion that you were racing. Although I believe most cops would use good judgment, it opens the door to using this suspicion to justify searching your car for things that have nothing to do with it.

I personally never have any contraband in my truck anyway, but it's the principle behind it I'm concerned about.

I'd like to see them modify the wording a little before passing it. Otherwise I'm all for it.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

With all the people that DO belong behind bars... Streetracers? Just confiscate and crush the cars. We already have so many prisons and jails with overcrowding issues. While I don't agree with streetracing, I think this is a little much.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Beginning Member
02BeachBlazer is on a distinguished road

When i had my mustang i used to street race all the time. But once the tickets started rolling in i sold it cause im 18 now with my old record whiped clean and i wanna keep it that way. So i sold that car and got this slow *** blazer but its badass and i love it and it keeps me out of tickets.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cbr995
With all the people that DO belong behind bars... Streetracers? Just confiscate and crush the cars. We already have so many prisons and jails with overcrowding issues. While I don't agree with streetracing, I think this is a little much.
I totally agree, but the Maryland politicians have been prompted by a very nasty street race that went bad on Indian Head Highway, a remote straightaway that's a few miles outside of Washington, DC. This was an illegal organized race in which some of the spectators did not stay a safe distance away from the road. One of the drivers lost control and hit several bystanders.

I'd also like to note that this very same phenomenon has happened at legal NASCAR races on closed tracks, so I don't fault the police or legislators for taking it seriously. I just don't think it's necessary to sacrifice civil rights or privacy to accomplish their goal.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I know in some states to curb teh amount of street racing, they have the PDs and HWP rent out a local dragstrip once a month and people get to come and race against each other and even against cops. I think its called Beat the Heat or something. Cool program. Some cops even have their own modified cars that they bring. Like one guy I knew who talked baout it had a 78 Trans Am with a built engine and his PD's color scheme and badges on it.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM

That is BAD ***! And I bet it totally cuts down on the problem of illegal street racing. Lets people get it out of their system in a healthy way.

But I will say that here in MD, we have several legal tracks where you can pay a few dollars and have at it. One's in Cecil County, north of Baltimore, so that kind of takes away our excuses. LOL!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Brooklin67s is an unknown quantity at this point

here in ontario...if you are caught doing 50km/h over (30mph) the speed limit. ur car is impounded for 7 days and license gone for 7 days with a court date for streeting racing with a fine of up to $10 000. This is such bull****. If your driving in an 80 zone, doing 100 and you go through a tiny town where you blink and your through it, but the speed limit drops out in the middle of no where. and you get busted for "street racing" THATS NOT STREET RACING. thats speeding. god the government in ontario are ratards

Quick Reply: Another Reason Not to Street Race