Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Another Reason Not to Street Race

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brooklin67s
here in ontario...if you are caught doing 50km/h over (30mph) the speed limit. ur car is impounded for 7 days and license gone for 7 days with a court date for streeting racing with a fine of up to $10 000. This is such bull****. If your driving in an 80 zone, doing 100 and you go through a tiny town where you blink and your through it, but the speed limit drops out in the middle of no where. and you get busted for "street racing" THATS NOT STREET RACING. thats speeding. god the government in ontario are ratards
sorry brother, like Pat, i too am always on the look out for the speed limit posted. and while i'll routinely run the 15 over, i'll only do this out on the rural & major highways.

i've never understood why people would want to speed in town. i mean if you want to look @ it in a selfish sense (from that driver's point), why would you want to risk messing up your ride?

Originally Posted by oktain
I thought they called it "stunt driving" you can get nailed for parking lot donuts and burnouts, as well as wheel spin from a set of lights... blah blah blah.
they do. it was originally tagged under "street racing", but too many people/groups complained it was lacking in certain areas, so they rewrote part of it, and clasified it all under the "stunt driving" law.

speaking of "speeding" & "in town", does anybody know where i can get one of those HP issue spike belts? Spring is coming up, and i'm begining to hate to have to replacing my tools, while i'm working on something in my driveway.

wanna see some little s**t stop his rice box quick? toss (throw hard) your 4lb hammer out in front of them. or any other large wrench you happen to have.

a friend of mine used to keep a tennis ball in the grill of his truck, and anytime he heard someone ripping down his street, he toss the ball in front of them. worked everytime, since most people are gonna expect a kid to chase out after the ball.

i'm ctually surprised this thread is going along as peacefully as it has been, considering how hot of a topic this can turn into. we don't want/need another "unconstitutional......blah......blah......... ." thread started (or another member getting banded 'cause they wouldn't listen).

Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

i'm ctually surprised this thread is going along as peacefully as it has been, considering how hot of a topic this can turn into. we don't want/need another "unconstitutional......blah......blah......... ." thread started (or another member getting banded 'cause they wouldn't listen).

Agreed. There's more than enough politics to go around on the local and national news channels.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'm with what Kyle was saying though, but I can understand where Spectre is coming from.

If you think about it... The municipal government owns, operates, and maintains hockey arenas... not everyone plays hockey/figure skates/speed skates... baseball fields, what not. Select few share this hobby. But if you think about it, the cost of mowing a lawn or running a propane powered zamboni over an ice pad is alot less money as far as upkeep goes when you consider a race track.

The other issue at hand is INSURANCE for a race track... We used to have an old "speed park" for stock car racing here in Sudbury, back in the 70's-80's... Now it's littered with bumpers and **** from kids stealing cars and going there to race... it's just patchy pavement now with grass and trees growing through the cracks. If private owners couldn't keep it running when it was one of the only tracks in the North... then how is the government going to do it?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very good analogy Pat, however, as you just stated, the cost of those conveniences is not on the same order of magnitude of what it would cost for a race park and the number of people using a race park would likely be quite a bit smaller than someone using a hockey rink, nature park, or something else along that thought. It all depends on your given area. You just have to be realistic about the demographic.

And the insurance aspect is HUGE. The liability alone for having a few walls and a good asphalt base is astronomical. And with everyone and their brother suing each other for petty crap... Yea...

Around me, there are a few hockey rinks, but they are not open for public use, rather pay on use. They are not that expensive to rent. Same with most of the boat launches, parks, etc. Truly free public facilities are dwindling fast since the cost of upkeep is going beyond what the public is willing to support through taxation or even through usage fees.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Wait... I just remembered... we pay to use the rinks lmao They have "free public skating" every now and then, but that's payed for by Tim Horton's I think (Doughnut shop in Canada... yummm) the only "free" facilities are the outdoor facilities really... we do have outdoor rinks "funded" by the city, mainly just upkeep of the shack and the boards... but ice maintenance is all neighbourhood volunteers.

Essentially... A FREE publicly funded race track just isn't feasible. It'd be a huge monetary blunder the moment the first shovel broke the soil.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old skool lover

Well, I started the topic because I thought it would make for a good discussion, which it obviously did. By no means have I advocated street racing. Just want to make sure we're clear on that. But I still have the right to voice my opinion, as long as I am being respectful about it, which I am.

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
if they had free public tracks i'd do with this law. otherwise im against it.

free:not having to pay a single cent to use.
If you don't mind working for free, then MAYBE your point would make sense. But I doubt very seriously you would be okay with that.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Psychropod

Well, I started the topic because I thought it would make for a good discussion, which it obviously did. By no means have I advocated street racing. Just want to make sure we're clear on that. But I still have the right to voice my opinion, as long as I am being respectful about it, which I am.

If you don't mind working for free, then MAYBE your point would make sense. But I doubt very seriously you would be okay with that.

what do you mean working for free? wait i already do that. lol. always working on a family members vehicle. all i was saying is the government could spend my money better. this was just one of the options i was gonna give them.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

its a felony to street race here. about 3 years ago there was two guys street racing and one of them crashed into a car with 2 teen girls in it, it killed one of them and the other got 2nd degree burns to her face. both of the guys got put in jail one of them getting manslaughter and the other getting attempted manslaughter. Here, now they will put you in jail no question asked as i think they should. if you want to race i'm sure there is a place close that is open to the public like here we have the Bristol dragway.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

laws or no laws, open drag strips or not...people are still going to street race..

One of the many things I don't like about these laws though, is the freedom it extends to police to act first then think later. Law makers can get public support by touting the public safety aspect, while sneaking in an addendum for unrelated purposes.

Example: There was a pretty extensive street racing sting around here a year or so ago that netted a lot of arrests and lots of stupid drivers off the road. But, the PD used a clause in the street racing laws that classified a car as potentially stolen if the con-VINs on the engine did not match the car. So anyone that has ever swapped an engine got their car impounded, regardless of if they were racing or not. Then its a few weeks and a bunch of legal fees just to show that you legitimately swapped engines? I think that is wayyyy too far reaching.

Id rather see my tax money going to increased patrols and a larger police presence instead of undercover stings to stop some kid in his dad's Camaro..

Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
what do you mean working for free? wait i already do that. lol. always working on a family members vehicle. all i was saying is the government could spend my money better. this was just one of the options i was gonna give them.
Good point, and I hope I didn't sound harsh when I said that (damn typing). I find myself working for free too, when it comes to my family's computers. <sigh>

By the way, that K is badazz. I think I voted for you when you ran.

Originally Posted by Wolfpack
One of the many things I don't like about these laws though, is the freedom it extends to police to act first then think later.
I agree.

Quick Reply: Another Reason Not to Street Race