Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

My Blazer vs. The 1/8th Mile

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Blazer_Man_Dan is on a distinguished road
Cool My Blazer vs. The 1/8th Mile

Took my blazer for its second run on the 1/8th mile drag strip south of me (Countyline Dragway, on the boarder with broward county and miami dade, FL)!

the first time i maxed out at 62 mph and just under 12 seconds (exact times lost). since then, i have put a High-flow catalytic converter and high performance muffler, both from magnaflow.

tonight was test and tune so i decided to give it another go:

atmosphere temp: 63-70 degrees F
competitors: Cadillac CTS-V, Mustang foxbody, and pontiac G-6

my only win was actually against the Cadillac:
Reaction time: C=.382 B=.806
60 foot time: C=2.856 B=2.394
Trap MPH: C=77.3 B=62.5
Elapsed time: 11.866 B=11.069
Winner

even though it was because he shifted badly from 1st to 2nd, i still had better acceleration from a standstill in first gear, and i was still proud of myself afterwards! lol

the mustang was fully "pro street" so i didnt stand a chance... but thats when i got my best speed, clocking me in at 79 mph and total time of 8.941... most were around 63 though.

keep in mind there's always the possibility that i mixed somethings up (i will mark down which lane i was in for each time card after each drag race next time)

any comments welcome, and experiences welcome too!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Good for you! Some guys will drag anything!
I was pleased to see you're 2wd, though. You're not totally crazy.

j/k. Actually it makes more sense to me than the guy with yet another 5.0 in a ratted out Fox.

And not everyone can afford to put $12,000 into a $3000 MarkVIII to turn 10.5 quarters.. so you're good in my eyes.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 AM

lol i even got a compliment from a couple guys about my blazer "hey that thing's pretty quick!" lol

one day i'll make another post on a quarter mile, but my nearest quarter mile drag strip is about 2 hours away... for now sticking to the eighth-mile, lol

hey, maybe one day i can afford a supercharger for my blazer! my only problem with superchargers is the loud whine/squeaking it makes... can they be "disengaged" (turned off... like the air conditioner) so that i can drive it normally? if so then i'm all in!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Starting Member
Blazer_LT is on a distinguished road

your still not totally crazy. theres a club of people somewhere in the midwest that meet up and drag their daily driver blazers. these things are built. it was on powerblock on spike a last year. ever since i saw that i had a new respect for these lil things lol. they have potencial to make serious power

Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

When I got my supercharger I sent a vid link to the guy I got it from & asked if it sounds right because it had been rebuilt. Al @ Wynjammer had a bad shipment of bearings & the only real way to know if they're bad is time - long story short he rebuilt it & I have it now. So I asked the guy if it sounded right, he said "yeah it sounds perfect, that's the sound that makes you smile!"

As for disconnecting them yes & no, they're belt driven so that would be a PITA & you have to get the PCM tuned for the added air pressure so it wouldn't run properly with the supercharger not running.

WTG on running the 1/8! When I get this one tuned up & things tweeked I might take it to the strip just north of here in the summer.
WTF is THAT doing here?! What a goof in a 4WD lifted blazer. lol

Oh, now I see.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rottidog

As for disconnecting them yes & no, they're belt driven so that would be a PITA & you have to get the PCM tuned for the added air pressure so it wouldn't run properly with the supercharger not running.
That's what's good about turbo's You dont have to disconnect them to get economy. Make up for their own parasitics. And if you did.. would run just fine if you have a street / strip tune.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 AM

ok... i might just have to listen to one on a blazer in person, since i've only ever heard them through youtube (and you know how video's can distort sound, lol).

hey, considering there was a guy in a giant lifted H2 hummer (had to have been a 6"+ lift) i dont think a blazer is/was too out of place! lol

maybe after i get an oil change (2,000 miles overdue ) i might get slightly better times.

i'm going again tonight, but just to watch because their racing jet cars and trucks! i'll try to get pics and video of them...

Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i have always wanted to take my 8in lifted blazer on 33s to the 1/4 mile strip just to see my times. But didnt want to be "that" guy. lol After i finish the v8 swap this winter i will have to go for sure though.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
i have always wanted to take my 8in lifted blazer on 33s to the 1/4 mile strip just to see my times. But didnt want to be "that" guy. lol After i finish the v8 swap this winter i will have to go for sure though.
"that guy" describes me perfectly XD Lol. I'd definitely want to see the times on the quarter mile after the v8 swap!

What would be the performance from stock be for a v8 swap vs a supercharger?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

No disrespect towards you or your Blazer, but you got lucky. Obviously the driver of the CTS-V was either asleep at the switch and/or had a lot of wheel spin out of the box. The elapse time and mph you posted are way off for the average capabilities of that car. A CTS-V will pull down a 8.xxx 1/8 mile time and a 12.xxx 1/4 mile run at 11x mph all day long without breaking a sweat. The 2012 CTS-V is only a couple tens of a second slower than a new Mustang GT500. Talk about a wolf in sheep clothing.

Quick Reply: My Blazer vs. The 1/8th Mile