Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

My Blazer vs. The 1/8th Mile

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Beginning Member
BMWDr is on a distinguished road

It's not about how fast but how consistant! I had a friend of mine take his rental car into the semi finals of the super chevy show in Atlanta about 15 years ago in a Corsica. He had the AC on and took off in drive and was running something like 22.5 at 78mph (1/4 mile). He was so far down the track when the other guy took off they kept breaking out trying to run him down! By the third round the place was going nuts! Anyway - it's all about the fun.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Blazer_Man_Dan is on a distinguished road

Wow... didn't realize how long ago I made this thread! Well, now I have a little extra cash from a trip I didn't take (didn't save up quite enough) and plan on getting an intake upgrade. So, what I might do is swing by the track and get a few more time slips (for accuracy's sake, I wasn't really sure how to read them when I made this thread). Then, do the upgrade and take it back to the track to see if there's any improvement.

I don't want this thread to die! Keep up with the interesting stories and please update if you can!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 AM
Beginning Member
97blazzer is on a distinguished road

blazer man make sure you get a good heat shield installed if you do a cold air intake becouse otherwise stock airbox with some modifying is better lol.. Also the throttlebody has the defuser it dont gain u no hp taking it out it just makes the throttle more twitchy

Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 PM

Actually, I have the opportunity to get a k&n intake for only about $180 (before tax) and it comes with the heat shield (series 57 intake) so that I shouldn't have to worry about. Ordering it tomorrow!

Hopefully I'll be able to hit the track Friday and/or saturday before installing the intake.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 AM

K&N air intake is ordered! should arrive mid next week. If I make it to the track this weekend I'll post my times here. Should I start a new thread after the install?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Either way. This area doesn't see much action.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Might be that not too many blazers see competition builds.
I'd go and race my very stock 1994 4x4 Blazer S10 with 175k anytimes just for the fun and to see what times it get. No drag-strips here tough.

These cars have been built to last and to run low on gas. Low RPM max power and restrictions everywhere.
Let somebody build it up nicely, eventually with a blower and see what it makes.
Still waiting for money and a place to build mine. I'll not slip that goal but it will take some more time.

Don't lift it, put it down as much as possible to reduce aerodynamic drag.
Get rid of the cooling fan and change to electrical fans.
Make sure A/C is off, lights out, battery is good.
With a nice build on the engine you may even want to keep it 4x4

Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Blazer_Man_Dan
Took my blazer for its second run on the 1/8th mile drag strip south of me (Countyline Dragway, on the boarder with broward county and miami dade, FL)!

the first time i maxed out at 62 mph and just under 12 seconds (exact times lost). since then, i have put a High-flow catalytic converter and high performance muffler, both from magnaflow.

tonight was test and tune so i decided to give it another go:

atmosphere temp: 63-70 degrees F
competitors: Cadillac CTS-V, Mustang foxbody, and pontiac G-6

my only win was actually against the Cadillac:
Reaction time: C=.382 B=.806
60 foot time: C=2.856 B=2.394
Trap MPH: C=77.3 B=62.5
Elapsed time: 11.866 B=11.069
Winner

even though it was because he shifted badly from 1st to 2nd, i still had better acceleration from a standstill in first gear, and i was still proud of myself afterwards! lol

the mustang was fully "pro street" so i didnt stand a chance... but thats when i got my best speed, clocking me in at 79 mph and total time of 8.941... most were around 63 though.

keep in mind there's always the possibility that i mixed somethings up (i will mark down which lane i was in for each time card after each drag race next time)

any comments welcome, and experiences welcome too!
I can ASSURE YOU that your Blazer did not run 79mph in the 1/8 mile at 8.941 seconds. There's a reason most were around 63. Those are correct. You didn't pick up 15mph in the 1/8 out of thin air. Sorry...

THey should have marked your truck with a number with white shoe polish. That number should match up to one of the times posted on your timeslip. Each column of info is labeled with which car it's for. Take the time to learn a little bit. It will help you tremendously.

Here's my best pass for comparison. Not stock: K&N FIPK, 2.5" Dynomax mandrel bent catback, 2.5" test pipe. No tune. 200K miles. I'm actually itching to go back since I've got a new LU3 crate engine installed now with about 6k miles on it now.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-B...lip-19825.html

Originally Posted by BMWDr
It's not about how fast but how consistant! I had a friend of mine take his rental car into the semi finals of the super chevy show in Atlanta about 15 years ago in a Corsica. He had the AC on and took off in drive and was running something like 22.5 at 78mph (1/4 mile). He was so far down the track when the other guy took off they kept breaking out trying to run him down! By the third round the place was going nuts! Anyway - it's all about the fun.

His butt should've been asked to leave the track after the first run. You NEVER run A/C while running it at the strip. Seriously...that's f***ed up.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 09-07-2013 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Combining consecutive posts.