Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Bent right suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Starting Member
lityjohn701 is on a distinguished road

So what should I do about them not being lined up

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I think its more the bolt being bent than something being out of alignment

The sway bar floats where it is mounted to the frame
It would be possible that it is shifted to one side or the other because the link kit is bent
I would replace the link kit on both sides and after a little bit of driving it will center itself again
The sway bar does nothing to your wheel alignment, it only trys to make the opposite wheel react the same way when you go over bumps or uneven terrain

BTW I have seen tow truck drivers hook on to areas and do damage just like that

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The sway bar itself does not affect alignment however, it is under tension when you connect the sway bar end links & bushings to it. The tension increases chassis ride height slightly. When chassis ride height changes, so does camber and toe. As mentioned, after you replace the links, it would be a good idea to have an alignment shop and/or frame shop take a look at it to make sure there is no structural damage. Have them check "front chassis ride height" before the alignment, and "set back" after the alignment.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Starting Member

Actually the right side seems to be brand new this is how we bought it. So what's your guys thoughts about how the wheel I in more on the side that bent?

Attached Thumbnails Bent right suspension???-image.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could be an alignment issue, worn or bent parts, frame damage, and/or body misalignment. The sway bar end link needs to be replaced, but it will not affect where the wheels are positioned, you'll need an alignment shop or frame shop to check it out.

EDIT: Must have been a rookie working on it. The driver side link is missing the spacer, (you can see the spacer on the right side) you'll need both new links. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+bar+end+links When you install them, put the bolt head on top and the excess threads pointing downward. It allows more clearance for the tie rod when turning.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-13-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the replies everybody! Really appreciate it this is my first car and all this just a little confusing!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:07 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
EDIT: Must have been a rookie working on it. The driver side link is missing the spacer, (you can see the spacer on the right side) you'll need both new links.
Missing a washer also some have a clearly visable spacer
here is a link to what it should look like https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...71/#post578310

I like to turn the bolt the threads up , only because I had a really low Toyota and the threaded end would hook the track in the car wash

Last edited by rexazz2; 04-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Toyota??? Yup, that's a problem I stick the threads down and cut off the excess. I'd rather not take the chance of it binding up the steering linkage. When the suspension compresses and the wheels are turned, could be a problem

Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Starting Member

Soo just got to looking and both passenger wheels are in and both drivers side wheels are sticking out now what!?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Better have a frame shop take a look. Have them take some measurements and see what's going on.

Quick Reply: Bent right suspension???