Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Front end POP when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:13 AM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front end POP when braking

I've noticed some front end noise noise when turning - for the last several years.. and it's not caused any problems to make me investigate in the past.. But now I believe that it's to the point that I can no longer ignore the noises by turning up the radio...

When braking - if the braking is hard enough that the center of gravity seems to shift forward.. there's a loud pop from under the Blazer - sounds sometimes as if it's from the passenger side front tire area.. and other times, it sounds like it's from directly under my driver's seat. (Mostly, though I hear it from the passenger tire area).

I'm going to suspect that the ball-joints are ready to be replaced... and I'll plan on doing those (after I find my Haynes manual in the back of the car under all my construction tools/junk). What else should be checked? (And also - how to check those other items that may need checking?) OR other things that could be causing the noises from 'neath the hood?

Thanks,
Rex S.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Front end POP when braking

ball joins are the only thing I can think of that would make popping noises. They aren't that hard to change. Just a pain in the rear end.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info - Now that the temperatures are back below 3 digits, I can start doing some of this maintenance that I'd been avoiding...

Rex S.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Finally got under there... I probably DO need to replace the ball-joints - however, the root cause of the loud popping sound is most likely a deteriorating and falling apart front bushing on the upper control arm on the passenger side. The same bushing on the drivers' side is fine (for now) - but it's falling apart and out of the pivot junction of the passenger side upper control. I can push/pull on the passenger side front tire, and the control arm rocks around because of the deteriorating bushing.

Is this a difficult repair? It looks accessible enough - but how much disassembly is required for just the bushing replacement?

See photo at...

Upper Control Arm Bushing Pics Here

Thanks,
Rex S.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Well, I'm having difficulty removing the bushings, now. I've already broken the jaw off of a 3-jaw puller - The Haynes manual says that there are some models that will just pull out... and others will need a hydraulic press to remove/install bushings.. and others are welded into place - and will require removal and replacement of the entire control arm... Looks like I've got more disassembly to do tomorrow after the sun comes up... Just to see which I've got....

Wish me luck...
Rex S.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck

Check your pitman arm and idler arm while your down there. Mine was doing the clunking when i turn. replaced my idler arm and its better. I still got to change the pitman arm. Ball joints aren't to bad to change.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 AM

Just as a follow up - The next day I confirmed that I do, indeed, have the "press-in" bushings. I don't have a press, so decided to take it up to a local garage to have them perform the labor, and I supplied the parts. Worked out well for both of us - and they also did a front end alignment afterwards. (It NEEDED it badly!)

I dropped it off to them on a Saturday evening.. and they had it done by Sunday evening.

Rex S.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Starting Member
one.shot.one.kill. is an unknown quantity at this point

My 96' Blazer is doing the exact same thing. Let me know if you find out exactally what it is.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Scuba65 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to get under my 96 LT and look at ALL the bushings. These little cracks in the roads around here make it feel like something is just loose...someone said it could be the mounting bolts on the new shocks, or ball joints. But I know how all these bushings can dry out and wear. But, our temps haven't even been up in the double digits for a couple of weeks...that cement is COLD!