Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for some advice

Hi everyone

I hope I am not being redundant here but I would like it improve the ride of my 98 Blazer 4door. I am hearing/reading that one of the best ways to do that is with a new set of shocks all round. I have had the truck since Feb 2000 and as far as I know the shocks that are on it are original. Question is which ones? Do any of you have a preference on what to use. I did put new sway bar links on the front this summer and I have not(nor do I really want to) lifted or modified the height in any way. I would just like a smoother ride.

Any suggestions on how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

The best way is to lower the pressure in your tires but a lot of other things come into play there. The smoothest ride comes from Monroe gas adjust after about six mounts and the tightest ride without being harsh is the Bilstein SS!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:12 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much!

Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Blazer forum donald_archer.If you want a smooth ride?You`ve got to start from the ground up.What size tires do you have?Do you have anything bigger than stock 235/70/15`s..If so you won`t have a smoooth ride.Next shocks, most blazers came with Bilstein brand shocks.These are close to $80.00 a pop.I changed my shocks about 2 months ago.It too had Bilstein on it.I don`t like bilstein for 2 reasons, to expensive and it has a plastic shield on them.Infact when I changed the rear shocks they where rubbing on the back sway bar.But if you want more bang for your buck?Buy Monroe gas adjust shocks(I`ve installed these on my blazer) they always garauntee them for life.Most important then next is the front end.Is it aligned correctly?This makes a world of a difference.Ex: I had mine aligned 2 weeks ago.Right off the bat, ride and comfort was 100% improvement.Infact my gas mileage improved 20% more than before.I was getting 150miles per tank full.Now i`m getting 200 miles per tank full.That`s driving in city only, no highway miles just yet.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:51 PM
silverside is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toocute350
Welcome to the Blazer forum donald_archer.If you want a smooth ride?You`ve got to start from the ground up.What size tires do you have?Do you have anything bigger than stock 235/70/15`s..If so you won`t have a smoooth ride.Next shocks, most blazers came with Bilstein brand shocks.These are close to $80.00 a pop.I changed my shocks about 2 months ago.It too had Bilstein on it.I don`t like bilstein for 2 reasons, to expensive and it has a plastic shield on them.Infact when I changed the rear shocks they where rubbing on the back sway bar.But if you want more bang for your buck?Buy Monroe gas adjust shocks(I`ve installed these on my blazer) they always garauntee them for life.Most important then next is the front end.Is it aligned correctly?This makes a world of a difference.Ex: I had mine aligned 2 weeks ago.Right off the bat, ride and comfort was 100% improvement.Infact my gas mileage improved 20% more than before.I was getting 150miles per tank full.Now i`m getting 200 miles per tank full.That`s driving in city only, no highway miles just yet.

Yeah for Monroe, few people here I know jump to them from Bilstein. Or check out Tuff Country shocks, cousin got them for his '91 suburban and very pleased.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by silverside
Yeah for Monroe, few people here I know jump to them from Bilstein. Or check out Tuff Country shocks, cousin got them for his '91 suburban and very pleased.
Before I go there..What the hell is tuffcountry shocks?Is this a name brand or web site that sells monroe`s/KYB`S?

Old 11-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member
wpjimmy is on a distinguished road

I put the cheap monroe lt truck( something like that) on and was very unhappy. I just replaced the front with kyb ($30ish on rock auto) and have been very happy. I would recommend them to anyone.

p.s. I have Gaberial air shocks on the back .....trailer towing.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by wpjimmy
I put the cheap monroe lt truck( something like that) on and was very unhappy. I just replaced the front with kyb ($30ish on rock auto) and have been very happy. I would recommend them to anyone.

p.s. I have Gaberial air shocks on the back .....trailer towing.
Did you buy the blue monroe shocks?If so those are cheap they won`t perform like you would want them too.But the KYB`S Now that`s a great shock.They too have a lifetime gaurantee.I`ve had KYB`s on my 81 malibu for many of years.Never once had problems with them at all.