Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

pitman, idler arms, ball joints

Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Beginning Member
alexbtango15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pitman, idler arms, ball joints

In three years I´ve had my ´96 Blazer I´ve gone through two sets of pitman and idler arms, and ball joints. I´m not a hardcore off-roader. I mosly use it as my daily driver to and from work. Every once in a while I´ll go the local dunes and take it easy since I know these parts along with the ball joints will fail if I go too hard. Anyway, my question is: does anybody know of who sells maybe some heavy duty parts that I won´t have to replace six months down the road? Or maybe some modifications I could have done to improve the life expectancy of these?

Old 01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: pitman, idler arms, ball joints

First thing would be to buy quality parts, not just the cheapies. Not saying that you didn't already, but just the first thing I always recommend.

Also, if you are really punishing (or even just mildly punishing) your vehicle, you should treat it to a full front end lube before and after you are done with your fun. This will ensure that it keeps well lubed to get the longest life out of the components.

Other than that, I am unaware of any heavy duty replacement parts that can be installed other than those offered at like Napa and other stores as the upgraded, LLT warrantied parts that cost more $$$.

Good Luck

Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

My only suggestion is to make sure you grease the joints everytime you do an oil change.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If your wearing parts that fast and your running the better grade of parts, I would suspect something isn't right.
Did you crank your torsion bars to gain lift?
When is the last time you had a front end alignment?

Old 01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member

I left the height alone. The only thing I've done is put on a set of tires that were one size larger than what was on when I bought it. If I'm not mistaken the size on now is 30.5 x 10 . I'm not 100% sure on that size. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Also the last time I replaced the ball joints, pitman and idler arms was in June of '05. I had the guy at the shop put TRW parts on. The ones coming off were the lifetime warranty ones from Checker Auto Parts. McQuay Norris parts I believe. Those lasted less than these.

How about the original GM replacement parts? Are these any better? I called my local dealership, and they've got 'em for about four times the price of the McQuay Norris lifetime guarantee ones. And about twice as much as the Moog parts I'm considering buying next.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

RockAuto.com doesn't have them for all that much. I seem to remember paying $30 something for my lifetime warranty ones from Advanced and Moog is a GREAT company. From Rockauto, the AC Delco's aren't all that much more than the moog's.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member

If I can get 'em to last a good long time, I really don't mind paying more.

I'm likely gonna buy the Moogs. If I can get them to last maybe a year, I'll be happy.

Also, I'm definitely going to pay more attention to greasing these parts regularly.

Another thing. I read another thread that mentions Blazers having a tendency to ride a little higher on the driver side than the passenger side. Mine does that. It mentions that some people have adjusted their torsion bars to even it out. Could this have something to do with me wearing out parts prematurely? Should I adjust it? If so, do I adjust the left to ride lower, or the right to ride higher?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Greasing them is the key. If you were getting bad parts, you would know in less than 100 miles. That's what happened with mine. A few days after replacing the ball joints, one was rattling again. Grease it, and it would quite down for, oh, the first bump or so...

Measure your wheel gaps with the truck on level ground (asphault or concrete preferred). If they are close (within an 1/8th of an inch), then you really aren't going to adjust the firmness of your ride with the torsion bars. I believe that the torsion bars can't actually adjust the spring rate itself, just the ride height. Another thing to check while you are measuring things is to measure the adjustment on each torsion bar. You should be able to slide underneith and measure them up without jacking it up, but it may be tight.

Also, a stiff ride on only one side could be a failed shock on the soft side... Just a thought.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would rate AC Delcos as the best, then Moogs, and then lifetime stuff from wherever.

You shouldn't be weraing out those parts that fast. I have aset of oversized tires on my '00. I have 110,000 mile son it, and the stil have the factory original parts, except brakes and rotors. Roughly half those miles is with the oversized tires.

Get your alignment checked, avoid pot holes, etc.