Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Rear Shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Broncokid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Shocks.

Im looking into getting some rear shocks because i looked under my rear end and the canister on the bottom of the shock is starting the crack. I live in a quad world and i have aftermarket suspension, and i def. know that this can not be good. I have beatin it over some speed bumps, holes and what not. Its a truck, it can take it. Granted this is new new DD instead of my bronco. I got it with 92k on it. Its a great truck, just looking to possibly get those shocks replaced. I also notice that when i look at it from the back, the drivers side is lower to the ground some. All tires are the same size and have the same PSI. Im thinking it is prolly these shocks. Im just hopeing they do not cost when my quad suspension costs. 1,000 for fronts and another 1,000 for the rear...[:'(]

Can you guys help me out, send me in the right direction for some replacement shocks.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rear Shocks.

I'm in the process of purchasing replacement shocks for my Bravada. I'm buying Monroe Reflex shocks for the front and Monroe Sensa-trac Load Leveler shocks for the back. The load levelers have coil springs on them to add spring rate (load capacity) to the rear of the truck. I need this for hauling my neighbors trailer when I use it (it has about 500lbs tongue weight when loaded down with lumber). With the shocks that are in there now (stock with 74k miles on them) the thing sags like a ****!

I am buying the shocks through Advanced Autoparts and with my 10% firefighter discount, the 4 of them are gonna cost me $189 total. A buddy and I are going to change them out this Saturday.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 AM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking of rear shocks. Aren't these suppose to decompress on there own. Cause if so then I got to get some more. Mine won't move a lick when they get pushed in.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you mean by 'decompress on their own'... In a perfect world, shocks should not loose their pressure (in respect to gas filled shocks) or leak fluid (with fluid filled shocks). When/If you remove your shocks, you can tell that they are bad by how they feel when you compress or extend them. If there is a bunch of resistance (smooth resistance), then the shock is most likely good (but given how cheap most shocks are, just replace it with new anyway - it should be mentioned that you should always have matched shocks on any one axle - ie. front or rear). If the shock moves freely in any one direction, replace it ASAP. You can definitely tell the difference in a vehicle with good shocks and bad shocks. The vehicle with bad shocks will tend to bounce around a lot more and feel more like a boat than an automobile.

The way a shock works deals with the valving between the 2 regions inside the shock (above the valve and below the valve). As the shock moves up, the valving will allow a certain amount of gas or fluid to move past it to control the oscilation of the spring. That is how a shock does it's job. Normal shocks do not add spring rate (load capacity) to the suspension. Their sole job is to dampen/control the oscillation of the suspension so you don't bounce all over the place. Newer shocks have special valving that can sense the difference between different types of road conditions and change the flow rate to optimally compensate. This gives a very smooth and firm ride in all conditions.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 PM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I can take the reaar shock loss from the bottom mount. Press it in with much force and it has to be pulled back out by hanging from it. Even with my 185 lbs *** it still comes out slowly.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Administrator

That sounds about right.

I just got done replacing the shocks on my Bravada today! Amazing difference! I put Monroe Reflex shocks on the front and Monroe Sensa-trac Load Assist on the rear. The shocks that were on there were Bilsteins... Wish I knew who the original owner was and where he/she bought them from (lifetime warranty)... Oh well. The load assist shocks on the rear make the back end ride a bit more rough, but even with all of my toolboxes (~250lbs) as close to the back bumper as I can get them, it doesn't even feel like they are back there. These shocks have a coil over spring on them and add abotu 500lb extra capacity to the back end. Much needed as I plan on towing a trailer with it.

The old shocks didn't really feel all that bad when I screwed around with them after I had removed them. They were definitely worn out though. Now the truck is super smooth over bumps and dips. The hard bumps can be felt more, but that was the effect I wanted to have. The suspension was way too cushy before...

Old 07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Shocks should expand on there own, unless they are air shocks.

I recommend you replace yours.