Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Sway

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 PM
broark2017 is on a distinguished road
Default Sway

What will cause my 2000 blazer to sway side to side after hitting a low spot on the road / highway ? It's like someone is rocking the truck from side to side . New sway arm bushings, stabilizer links front and back . It's almost like it starts at the back drivers wheel when it happens .. It doesn't bounce up and down its always seems to be side to side . Maybe a bad shock on that wheel ? It also sits lower in the back then the front any ideas? Just bought it and a 2001 2 weeks ago . The 2001 rides smooth except for needing front shocks but the 2000 not so much .

Last edited by broark2017; 02-10-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Rear end sag is common on Blazers but sounds to me like you need new shocks all around. Do you know how to test if the shocks are shot?

Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM

I bought new shocks but haven't had the chance to change them .. I found the big problem with the sway .. broken passenger side shackle .

Old 02-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Default Torsion Bars

With only having this truck for a few weeks .. If someone raised the torsion bars would it cause the "rougher" ride and sway ? I know it would cause the front to be higher and mine is just that . Replacing the broken shackle and shocks has helped but it still has the side to side sway.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member
Stumpalump is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 2004 with 104k miles and it does the same thing. This is why a Blazer has the most rollover deaths of any vehicle. I only have one "bad" component. The idler Arm. moog makes a better one called Problem solver. Stock Bilsteins are valved too soft. I had good luck with Rancho RSX and Edlebrock shocks and today the same identical shock is the Monroe reflex Mono-tube. The front sway bar got energy suspension end links and mounts. Get the black ones. The front ride height sag gets set to factory 4.8". The rear may get an extra leaf in time but the problem is the narrow track width. I found 1.2" spacers for the rear. I'm throwing new Moog sway bar end links on and on will modify frame mounts for a snug fit. The last problem is the 15" rims. No new cars or trucks run them because they have too much flex in the side wall. My solution is to run the stiffer Michelin defender tires in 235 75 15. That will gear me up just enough on the freeway without the bog of a 30" and the stiff heavy construction will keep the vehicle planted. I'll own 3 vehicles with those tires because they hold the road, ride smooth and don't sway. If this does not fix it then I'll add a rear leaf to bring the rate up a tad.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM

Awesome response and detail..

My idler was bad too .. Already replaced it with moog .
New sway bar bushings. links
new shackles
new monroe shocks
new good year wrangler tires..

I guess the rear leafs are next and adjust ride height then alignment .

Old 02-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by broark2017
Awesome response and detail..

My idler was bad too .. Already replaced it with moog .
New sway bar bushings. links
new shackles
new monroe shocks
new good year wrangler tires..

I guess the rear leafs are next and adjust ride height then alignment .
That's not good to hear. I'm still waiting on parts to finish mine. Try more air in your Goodyears and what do you think about the narrow rear end? I read it's a couple inches narrower than the front. Also..Did I read some Blazers were equipped with a rear track bar? Maybe we should add one.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stumpalump
That's not good to hear. I'm still waiting on parts to finish mine. Try more air in your Goodyears and what do you think about the narrow rear end? I read it's a couple inches narrower than the front. Also..Did I read some Blazers were equipped with a rear track bar? Maybe we should add one.

Yes I read that too about the rear .. makes sense because of the 4 wheel drive in case you were to get stuck the tires are on different "paths" .
Huh,sure worth looking into .. Really weird I have 2001 too and except for the front shocks needing replaced because of excessive bounce it rides good .

Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM

I'm going to take a close look at the leafs and rear to make sure nothing has shifted and making the truck not run true.. It seems to me that if the rear was a little off center it would cause a lot of our issues .. because even after the idler, tie rods , cv axles ..forgot to mention those earlier .. shackles , shocks, tires and steering box adjustment .. truck still has some left to right travel . I've jacked it up and neither front tire has any play side to side or up and down. I've been driving it back and forth to NJ from MD 4 days a week for work about 300 miles a week and the front tires (even the old ones ) are not wearing inside or outside .. just doesn't make any damn sense to me.

Last edited by broark2017; 02-16-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

These rigs defiantly have had there share of rear shackle and spring problems. Looking at a thread here, post 149, picture without engine, notice the lack of frame bracing between the motor. The motor is the frame brace between the front suspension. Based only on that photo this could be one of those vehicles that drives all over the road when the motor mounts are broken. IDK but I'm going to look mine over today. https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...-79095/page15/

Quick Reply: Sway