Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

TrailBlazer SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
BLAZINTRAILSTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TrailBlazer SS

I am new to this forum so I want to start off by saying hello to everyone. My question is this: I am about to embark upon the purchase of an 06 TrailBlazer SS. I have test driven several models and I can't decide between the rear 2 wheel drive or the all wheel drive model. I do notice a difference between these models. The 2 wheel drive has significantly better hook up when stepping on the pedal. The problem however is that I live in Michigan and the rode conditions change according to our weather quite frequently. My salesman assures me that the 2 wheel drive will maintain stability under slippery conditions in addition to snow and that I simply cannot do any off roading. Well I am obviously not purchasing this vehicle to do any off roading but I am still concerned about loosing the rear end with the 2 wheel under bad road conditions. I know from my experience with my current TrailBlazer that in 2 wheel drive I can easily slide and I have a 4.3 Vortec under the hood. So I am concerned about this 6.0L monster under the hood not holding to the road in 2 wheel under said conditions. However, I hate giving up the throw me back in my seat feel that the two wheel has. It simply is not the same "feel" with the all wheel drive model. I could use some feedback from anyone regarding this decision. Thanks

Old 02-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: TrailBlazer SS

Please do not double post. Your post in the General Tech Help section will be deleted.

Anyway, if I'm buying an TB SS, I'm getting AWD. The 2wd will not "hook up" better than the AWD given the same conditions. The 2wd may have slightly lower drivetrain losses as compared with the AWD, but the benefits in traction far outweight the cons. If you are even the slightest bit worried about winter weather driving, AWD wins hands down! Serious offroading still shouldn't be a thought with such a machine (AWD or not), but it would be much more plausible with the AWD.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Bgray is an unknown quantity at this point

for one thing...with the AWD you will lose about a 20% power loss...so consider that. 2 wheel drive is a bit more fun if yah liek the sliding out stuff!! They are torque monsters for sure though

Old 02-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Bgray

for one thing...with the AWD you will lose about a 20% power loss...so consider that. 2 wheel drive is a bit more fun if yah liek the sliding out stuff!! They are torque monsters for sure though
Where in GOD's green Earth do you come up with a 20% power loss? The only time an AWD system like what is used in the TB-SS will lose anything is when it is transferring power and then it will be exactly like the losses of a 4x4 system when in 4x4 mode, nothing more. The only downside is more weight, but again if concerned with winter conditions, the difference between AWD and 2wd becomes DAY and NIGHT. AWD wins hands down!

Old 02-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Bgray is an unknown quantity at this point

yah and when 4x4 is engaged, or even jsut spinning half-shafts, if robs horsepower. AWD does rob power.....awd cars that produced a 220hp rating lose consider power through the awd....And i get that Information from my Tehcnical Traning from Subaru Canada

Old 02-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

But to say that an AWD robs 20% over what a normal auto 2wd is absolute BS. Possibly 20% more power loss than a manual 2wd in a tiny subaru, but manual isn't an option in a TB-SS. You may see 5-10% loss when the front axle is active, but the only downside would be the added weight until the AWD was requested. Believe me when I say this, having driven my Bravada AWD and MANY other Blazers both 2wd and 4wd. A 20% loss over the 2wd would be VERY noticable and my Bravada does NOT show this. It feels identical to the 4wd Blazers I have driven and only slightly more clunky than the 2wds. The TB-SS uses a viscous clutch in the center, but normal front and rear diffs (actually a posi rear and an open front). So the only difference between a 4wd and an AWD is the transfer case.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM

I appreciate your responses however I have heard the 20% power loss issue from a performance friend and I have also heard that the AWD will only respond to the road conditions. Therefore,under"good" or dry road conditions it should not be an issue. Moreover, of course the transfer case is going to add a few hundered pounds. So I am still a bit unsure because each argument is plausible. I guess I just do not want to get this vehicle if it is not what I want and when I drove the 2 wheel versus the AWD the 2 wheel just seemed more like the Vette feeling. However I need to know that a 2WD TB is going to make it nicely through rain and snow. I know my TB is not the best but perhaps my rear end in two wheel is different than TB SS 2WD rear end. BTW: swartlkk I owned the exact Bravada that you own sans the running boards and it was a very nice vehicle that I enjoyed it very much.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Well, if you use the city/highway mileage as a factor, the 2wd gets 15/19 and the AWD gets 14/17. That's about a 10% loss overall from published values.

I guess I'll ask how important the winter driving is for you? With traction control and antilock brakes, you shouldn't have too much trouble with normal winter weather. But you won't be able to just drive in winter weather.

If winter weather is of any concern, the AWD is the way to go. With the power of the LS2, you won't even know it's there. Not to mention that with the availability of parts from the aftermarket, the LS2 can be upgraded to meet any hp requirement you may have in the future.

How does your current TB (s-series Blazer dressed up) handle the snow in 2wd mode? How did it compare to your old Bravada with AWD? That is a damn good comparison that you should think about before making your purchase.

With a 2wd only vehicle, you're stuck with turning only 2 wheels for the life of the vehicle. Do you get into situations now where you need 4wd?

We could sit here until we're blue in the face debating over the drivetrain losses of the current TB-SS. The best comparisons are those I listed above. Is a ~10% loss in fuel mileage is acceptable for the increased poor weather stability? I guess that's something you have to answer for yourself.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Picking up the SS AWD tonight! Wil probably do a few tweaking items to compensate the differance so I'll be happy. Thanks for the input and happy trailblazin!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

SWEET!!! Definitely got to get some pictures up of it when you bring it home! What color are you getting?

Also, be aware that GM will void certain warranty claims if a K&N or other aftermarket oiled airfilter is installed on the vehicle. My advice would be that if you put on an aftermarket intake & filter, ALWAYS take it off before going back to the dealership for ANYTHING. They'll tag your account if they see an oiled airfilter on it even once. Good thing for me is that it wasn't tagged to the VIN so other dealerships could see it.

Quick Reply: TrailBlazer SS