Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

ZR2 center steering link on a 4 Door? (With stabilizer/damper mount)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 PM
cccfabioccc is an unknown quantity at this point

did you ever install this? how did it work out. I have debated repeatedly changing the center link so that i can add the stabilizer. I feel like it will at the very least prolong the life of the steering box. At some point i need to change my steering box since i still have some slop and all new steering components otherwise and no play in the rag joint. if thats the case i might as well change the center link at the same time.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 PM

also if you did which dampener did you use the 1st gen or the 2nd gen zr2

Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cccfabioccc
did you ever install this? how did it work out. I have debated repeatedly changing the center link so that i can add the stabilizer. I feel like it will at the very least prolong the life of the steering box. At some point i need to change my steering box since i still have some slop and all new steering components otherwise and no play in the rag joint. if thats the case i might as well change the center link at the same time.
also if you did which dampener did you use the 1st gen or the 2nd gen zr2

The ZR2 center link is NOT compatible with the non-ZR2 s-series trucks. It is 4" longer than the non-ZR2 center link (see quote below). If you want one with the 5th hole for the steering stabilizer use a center link from a 1st generation S-series Blazer or truck. A stabilizer with the same dimensions as the one from the 1st generation Blazer will work perfectly for your 2nd generation truck.

Originally Posted by dharvey4651
Well I am going to go ahead and confirm this myself. Went to pull the center link today. Before removing it I measured both my current center link and the ZR2 center link.

2ND gen LT/LS 4WD center link = 27" long from end to end. Pitman arm - idler arm holes = 17.5"

2ND gen ZR2 center link = 31" long from end to end. Pitman arm - idler arm holes = 17.5"

With all of that being said, the ZR2 link is NOT compatible with the LT/LS blazer. Not without serious modification to the tire rods anyway.

I know that the outer tie rods could be shortened and using a tap & dye set, the threads lengthened to make the ZR2 center link work on a non-ZR2 but when it all boils down to it, that's just not practical and would need to be redone every time the outer tie rods needed replaced.

Now does anyone know for sure what non-zr2 blazers came with the 5 hole center link for the stabilizer shock? I'm still seriously looking for one of these links.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
The ZR2 center link is NOT compatible with the non-ZR2 s-series trucks. It is 4" longer than the non-ZR2 center link (see quote below). If you want one with the 5th hole for the steering stabilizer use a center link from a 1st generation S-series Blazer or truck. A stabilizer with the same dimensions as the one from the 1st generation Blazer will work perfectly for your 2nd generation truck.
I'm aware and was asking if he ever did it and which stabilizer he used not which center link he used. As far as I know nobody has done this people have just done the bolt on stabilizer.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I'm aware and was asking if he ever did it and which stabilizer he used not which center link he used. As far as I know nobody has done this people have just done the bolt on stabilizer.
Not sure if the OP ever found a suitable center-link, but as I said previously, I have the 1st gen S10 center-link installed on my 2002 Sonoma. I am using a stabilizer with the same measurements as the 1st gen S10, using the factory hole on the center-link and the factory frame mount on my Sonoma. This is the same center-link that the OP referenced in the screenshots he posted with the same part number. It has exactly the same measurements as the 2nd gen center-link and also includes the 5th hole for the steering stabilizer. In my opinion its a good upgrade, especially if you're already replacing steering components at the same time.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 01-16-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Not sure if the OP ever found a suitable center-link, but as I said previously, I have the 1st gen S10 center-link installed on my 2002 Sonoma. I am using a stabilizer with the same measurements as the 1st gen S10, using the factory hole on the center-link and the factory frame mount on my Sonoma. This is the same center-link that the OP referenced in the screenshots he posted with the same part number. It has exactly the same measurements as the 2nd gen center-link and also includes the 5th hole for the steering stabilizer. In my opinion its a good upgrade, especially if you're already replacing steering components at the same time.
ah, do you notice any difference? Since the center link is a non service part nobody makes them so I'll grab one at a scrap yard. I have already replaced all of my steering components (minus the steering box) and bushings in the front end. It's hard to find details as to what benefits the steering dampener actually provides especially since it only came standard on the zr2

Old 01-16-2017, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran

Personally I find that it definitely helps when driving over rough or rocky ground. It's a lot less noticeable on the highway.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

So glad I found this thread... glad to know about the 1st gen center link

Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran

It was really cool to find out that the 1st gen center link had the mount factory. I like that way better than a clamp to hold the steering stabilizer.