Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

1998 4dr 4X4 Size issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 AM
TheNick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998 4dr 4X4 Size issue

Hi guys...brand new to the forum. I just purchased a '98 4 door 4X4 Blazer LT with 205/75/R15 Tires. I have Tried my best to find the biggest size tires to Fit my stock ride from researching these forums. From whatI have learned most people are saying and leaning towards the 30/9.5/R15 size. Unfortunately most people are saying their stock size is 235/75- 15. Having looked at my Blazer I am really totally not sure that the 30's will fit. (Seems like the Blazer looks lower to me than some of the rides in the forum (but theres are said to be stock hieght as well) Am I missing somethin or will the 30's fit?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1998 4dr 4X4 Size issue

Your stock tire size should be listed on a sticker on the drivers door. Just open it up and take a look at the end of the door. This is the first I have seen 205/75R15 tires on a 4x4...

Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

It depends on how much your suspension has sagged from old age...

My Blazer came with 235/75R15's stock, and I'm running 30x9.5's right now, and even playing in the mud, or going over bumps with the wheel cranked, there's no rubbing... Even with the extra weight of the brush guard up front... I have no lift at all.

I can't guarantee they'll fit... They SHOULD fit... Ask a tire shop if they've got some old ones kicking around to see if you can test fit them, or something... If you're really worried about it, go with the 235/75R15's.

But just so you know, an LT 235/75R15 is the same height as a 30" tire...

If you go with regular 235/75R15's, you'll be getting about 1.8 inches of extra height... My 30s give me 2.4 inches over your size of tires...

Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site.

The suspension system dictated what were the stock tires on our rigs. On all models and years of the regular S10-Blazer (non ZR2) 30" tire is the biggest you can go without rubbing issues. I fit the exact same 30" BFG tires on my '87, '93, and '00. I had the tires mounted to my '00 stock wheels, and tried them on all three trucks. They fit just fine. You may need to crank your torsion bars some due to sag, I didn't on any of them. The '87 came with 205 as well. The factory offered three sizes for our rigs over the years, 205, 215, and 235s. regardless, the frame, suspension hasn't changed during the life of hte production run. The various suspension options were mostly shocks and wheels as far as I can tell. Might have been a rear torsion bar in there somewhere too. Even with the body style change in the mid '95s, the wheel openings remained the same. So, yep, like hte guys above me posted. 30" will fit even if you had 205 from the factory.
There are other things to sconsider, vehicle speed being the biggest.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 AM
TheNick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for the help guys. The only other question I guess I have is what is the main reason you guys are switching to the 30's if the LT 235/75R15 is the same height? Whats the biggest difference? Having seen the pics of your rides I'm pleased with the look of the 30's as well as the tire choice (BFG All-terrain KO) are these good tires for daily driving/mild off road? I would rather spend the extra money on somethig that will last longer rather than something that wont...again I really appreciate your insight and help. I know very little about the blazers. I've only owned it for a few days now! It was just a sweet deal I couldnt pass up.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

There not actualy the same size. At least not the BFG's. TheLT235 are 29" and the 30" tires are 29.8". something like that.
As for how well do the BFG's handle. Awesome for an All-Terrain tire. The wear like iron and last a long timre provided you rotate them and keep full of air.
Little video of my BFG's in action. 6" of fresh snow on top of a grass field, little hill climb, and drove through a snow bank. I did the loop twice so you could see the difference between fresh snow and once driven on snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6urte0ooRg

Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The size of the tire depends on the brand, too... Both Tire Rack and the BFG website list the All-Terrains at 29.5"

Going with 30s vs LT 235/75s is more of a consistancy thing... Some LT 235/75/15s are the same outside diameter as the stock tires, while a 30" tire will generally be somewhere between 29.5 and 30"

So far, I'm loving my All-T's. The handle pretty good, ride smoother than my stock tires did, about the only thing that's worse with these, is they make more noise on the highway, and since they have grip, they throw a lot more pebbles...

When I first got them, and tested them in the snow, I was able to watch snow fly in front of my truck. (I took it easy, and didn't go any deeper than 6 - 8 inches) and the tires throw mud and snow forward... With the stockers, they only threw a little bit of snow against the mudflaps, lol.

As long as you keep the air pressure up, and rotate them every 1 or 2 oil changes (or so I've heard, these are my first set...) They can last almost forever... I run mine at 44 psi, if I remember right...