Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Painting my Stock Rims(98 Blazer)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 PM
BlkonBlkBlaze is on a distinguished road
Question Painting my Stock Rims(98 Blazer)

So I have a Black 1998 2-Door S10 Blazer, and I had recently seen a picture of the same model and color as mine but with the stock rims painted black. I loved the way it looked so I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to go about painting my rims, without having them chip easily. They are the same rims seen in the picture of the red Blazer at the top of the site (Not the twirls).

Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I have the same rims. I'm going to be painting mine this weekend. I just plan on scuffing them up with sand paper or scotch pad and painting it with a can of black spray I got at the local dealership. I'm not sure how well the paint in going to hold with the texture on these rims, but I'll let you know how it goes and post up pics.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
I have the same rims. I'm going to be painting mine this weekend. I just plan on scuffing them up with sand paper or scotch pad and painting it with a can of black spray I got at the local dealership. I'm not sure how well the paint in going to hold with the texture on these rims, but I'll let you know how it goes and post up pics.
that's not gonna last long Sisk. remember, the rims have that clear coat on them, and if they're 10 yrs old, they'll probably have some peeling/chipping issue (especially with our Canadian Winters).
your best bet BlkonBlkBlaze and Sisk, is to have the rims stripped, then painted (to whatever colour), and re-cleared so they'll last.
another option is for powder coating, 'cause that s**t doesn't come off. you can also get different finishes (high gloss, satin, matte) to suit your style.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
that's not gonna last long Sisk. remember, the rims have that clear coat on them, and if they're 10 yrs old, they'll probably have some peeling/chipping issue (especially with our Canadian Winters).
your best bet BlkonBlkBlaze and Sisk, is to have the rims stripped, then painted (to whatever colour), and re-cleared so they'll last.
another option is for powder coating, 'cause that s**t doesn't come off. you can also get different finishes (high gloss, satin, matte) to suit your style.
I'm going to give it a shot anyway. I know it's not the best option, but it's worth a shot. I probably will throw a coat of clear over it when I'm done too. I always planed on getting some Crager's someday, so this is just a temporary fix. The only thing that concerns me is the texture on these rims. They have little grooves which I'm not sure I'll be able to paint. Anyway, I'm gunna give it a go and I'll let you know how it goes.
If you want something permanent then power coating is definitely the way to go.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I would definitley recommend a clear coat. Sand it down with a rough sandpaper followed by a very fine sandpaper (like wet-dry). Then prime it and let that dry and then go over again with superfine sandpaper (you may want to sand again with supre fine, i never have at this point). Apply a final coat of primer and let dry. Paint the rims 2 or 3 times and then put a nice clearcoat on top of that!! Good luck.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
BlkonBlkBlaze is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot guys, that gives me a much better idea. I was thinking pretty much along the same lines as you though Sisk, picking up some black spray and giving them a quick sanding. The only thing I was worried about was having it peel easily seeing as how winter is coming up and all, but we'll see how it goes. I'll post up pics as soon as I can, I look forward to seeing yours as well Sisk.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlkonBlkBlaze
Thanks alot guys, that gives me a much better idea. I was thinking pretty much along the same lines as you though Sisk, picking up some black spray and giving them a quick sanding. The only thing I was worried about was having it peel easily seeing as how winter is coming up and all, but we'll see how it goes. I'll post up pics as soon as I can, I look forward to seeing yours as well Sisk.
I'm planning on doing them Saturday. Hopefully all goes to plan. It's a long weekend up here (Thanksgiving in Canada) so I should be able to get it done one way or another.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
00whitezr2 is on a distinguished road

i painted my stocks and they came out great.
sanded them down (hardest part)

high heat engine paint 2x

satin clear3x

good luck

Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlkonBlkBlaze
they're not gonna peel because of the season change-although, if painted when too cold, the paint won't stick. i was talking more of how the rims have had so many years of "Winter's rath" thrown @ them.

Originally Posted by Sisk
I'm planning on doing them Saturday. Hopefully all goes to plan. It's a long weekend up here (Thanksgiving in Canada) so I should be able to get it done one way or another.
it's also Columbus Day (on Monday) in the States too Sisk.

Originally Posted by 00whitezr2
i painted my stocks and they came out great.
sanded them down (hardest part)

high heat engine paint 2x

satin clear3x

good luck
how long have your rims been done? and did you just "scuff" (sand) the surface of them, or take off the clear?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 AM
00whitezr2 is on a distinguished road

i painted them two weeks ago.i scuff sanded them.and also dont forget to always use primer. i did two coats.i wound up re doing two rims cuz they werent perfect,and it was extremely hard to remove the paint.had to use airplane paint stripper!so i think they'll last through the winters.just dont be shy on the clear coat.and if not im a pro at painting rims by now!did my wifes scion rims too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting my Stock Rims(98 Blazer)