Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Choosing Tires for my 87 GMC Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Beginning Member
bman22 is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing Tires for my 87 GMC Jimmy

I recently got myself a 1987 GMC Jimmy V1500, with the Sierra Classic package, for next to nothing. After replacing that little hose in the gas tank, the TBI 350 crate engine is running great, and so I've started looking into tires.

As this is my first off-roading vehicle, I have not much experience with tires, and as such, I've had some trouble figuring out what to get. Right now, on the vehicle, I've got some 33x12.50R15 Dakota Definity A/T, which probably aren't going to cut it for what I am going to be doing. Here's a picture as its setup now:

Name:  ldkVT.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  60.0 KB

The three tires I've been looking at are the Nitto Trail Grapplers, the Pro Comp Xtreme M/Ts, and the BFG TA KO (the budget option). I have some experience with the BFGs, a friend has managed to pop 3 of them where we have been going, and that makes me shy away from them. We have had the same issue with Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts. I like the Nitto and Pro Comp, both look aggressive and seem to be good tires, but I'm hoping somebody can tell me how they'll hold up in the kind of situations I'll be putting them in.

The majority of the time, I'll be on sand, often going over small bushes and trees (this is what keeps popping my friend's tires). I also plan on doing some mudding. Lastly, I'd like for them to be able to handle snow for winter trips to our cabin. I've heard the Nitto's should be good for just about everything I've listed, but they do cost more than the Pro Comp tires do, and that's a rather important factor. Does anybody have experience with both, and prefer one over the other?

The other thing is, as I said, I currently have 33x12.50's on the truck. It has either a 2.5" or 4" (I believe its 4) superlift lift kit, so it should be able to fit 35"s. Would I have to do a gear ratio change if I bump up to 35"s? Are they worth the extra money and effort?