Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

How to reset shift pts. and speedo for bigger tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to reset shift pts. and speedo for bigger tires

I'm getting some new rims and tires. Was wondering how to go about resetting the shift points for the transmission, and the speedo and mileage counter so all will be accurate and running the best that can be expected. I know that there is a way to connect to the transmission on some vehicles for the transmission. And that you can plug into the computer and fix all of this from there alone on some vehicles. Just wondering what to expect to have to do. Would the major tire chains like Firestone and such be able to do this, or should I go to a 4x4 shop? Where I'm gettin the tires from are small town shops and I'm not sure that they will be able to change the settings. Thanks for the advice.
The vehicle info is in my signature if that helps

(I hate starting new threads but I couldn't find anything on this. If this question is in the wrong section my apoligies.)

Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

look into PCM tunes. i'm sure they have some for your style truck.

They can customize your computer to run with your vehicle AS IS (all mods included). search "PCM tune"

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Or you can get a HyperTech Power Programmer that plugs into your OBDII port. The tune would be cheaper but the HPP3 will allow you to scan for codes, do a tune for 87 or 91 octane, gears, tires and shift points numerous times without having to send in your PCM. It also allows you to go back to stock settings if you ever sell your vehicle which then allows you to resell the programmer.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

If he has a 92, then none of the computer tuning applies since it's OBDI with a PROM. He needs to get a different gear that goes into the trans for the speedo as I believe all the 1st gens had cable operated speedos.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Always nice to know what year vehicle, didn't even notice it wasn't put up.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
If he has a 92, then none of the computer tuning applies since it's OBDI with a PROM. He needs to get a different gear that goes into the trans for the speedo as I believe all the 1st gens had cable operated speedos.
That is not 100% correct either. Any of the 90-95 OBD1 equiped vehicles will have an electronic vehicle speed sensor which does not have a gear that can be swapped. The VSS outputs 40 pulses per revolution of the driveshaft.

There is a small device called the DRAC (digital ratio adapter controller - 90-91) or VSSB (vehicle speed sensor buffer - 92-95) which can be reconfigured to account for a gear or tire diameter change. Have a read through the article provided on TBIChips.com --> 1990-1995 GM Truck/SUV DRAC/VSSB Calibration

Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Always nice to know what year vehicle, didn't even notice it wasn't put up."

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
The vehicle info is in my signature if that helps
AJBert, my signature lists that it's a 1992 s10 blazer 4x4x4. That's why I put my info in my signature so all my posts had my info. But I'll list it next time I ask a question that is as year specific as this one so there isn't any confusion, my bad.

Swartlkk, the ever wise all knowing mod, thank you for that link and I'm reading it right after I post this.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

I thought that was only certain vehicles and not the S10.

4x4x4 huh? you got 4 wheel steer too or something?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My references state that the s-series uses a very similar setup as the fullsize trucks through these years with the only difference being that the 92-95 models may have the VSSB internal to the cluster. However, the same premise applies.

4x4x4 is a common reference to 4wd w/ 4 doors.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
"Always nice to know what year vehicle, didn't even notice it wasn't put up."

AJBert, my signature lists that it's a 1992 s10 blazer 4x4x4. That's why I put my info in my signature so all my posts had my info. But I'll list it next time I ask a question that is as year specific as this one so there isn't any confusion, my bad.
For some reason, my computer doesn't show anyone's sigs, even my own. Never got around to trying to find out why, so this one's my bad, not yours...lol

Quick Reply: How to reset shift pts. and speedo for bigger tires