Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tires for my 2wd 4dr soccer-mom-mobile

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tires for my 2wd 4dr soccer-mom-mobile

I read through a few pages of posts and didn't see much discussion along the lines of tires for a truck that will not be taken off road unless it's to park on the shoulder. I'm looking for either 205/75R15 or 235/70R15 tires, I've got the 205's now but I wouldn't mid a little wider, I don't think my wife will care, but the difference in cost may sway my decision to get the narrower tires. My primary concern is noise, I don't want a tire that sounds like a 747 winding up when I'm driving down the freeway. Of course I want tires that are cheap and will last a long time but I want them to be quiet first and foremost. On my Saturn I've got a set of Futura (Pep Boy's brand) H rated touring tires that I really like, they are a lot quieter and give better grip than whatever was on there before and they've got lots of tread left even after 50k miles. Can anybody reccomend the Futura tires in truck tire size? Is there a truck/suv tire that is known for being a quiet tire?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tires for my 2wd 4dr soccer-mom-mobile

ORIGINAL: kornphlake

I read through a few pages of posts and didn't see much discussion along the lines of tires for a truck that will not be taken off road unless it's to park on the shoulder. I'm looking for either 205/75R15 or 235/70R15 tires, I've got the 205's now but I wouldn't mid a little wider, I don't think my wife will care, but the difference in cost may sway my decision to get the narrower tires. My primary concern is noise, I don't want a tire that sounds like a 747 winding up when I'm driving down the freeway. Of course I want tires that are cheap and will last a long time but I want them to be quiet first and foremost. On my Saturn I've got a set of Futura (Pep Boy's brand) H rated touring tires that I really like, they are a lot quieter and give better grip than whatever was on there before and they've got lots of tread left even after 50k miles. Can anybody reccomend the Futura tires in truck tire size? Is there a truck/suv tire that is known for being a quiet tire?
BFg makes two kinds that will be good for you, the rugged trail radial and the long trail radial. www.tirerack.com

Old 10-21-2006, 02:29 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I had a set of tires on my Ranger that lasted a loooooooooong time and looked good too.... The Eldorado Vision GTS......... also a dang good tire for 2wd..... is the Mastercraft Avenger GT...... had a set on a 98 mustang.... got 75,000 miles out of them.... workin on the second set right now.... cars at 100,000 miles.... Another one i've had good luck out of is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500...... really good for a firestone.........

Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I discovered the Michelin MXL A/T tires a while back. I now have put moer than 60,000 miles on them in my '99 Blazer. They still have safe tread left and ride well. Check the reviews on them at Tirerack.com - user after user has gotten more than 60K happy miles from them.

Please understand - I love cornering and don't really put a premium on tire mileage - I tend to burn themup and replace them when they need it. But these have been superb on bare roads, wet roads, and they've gone through 2+ feet of snow after a spring blizzard here at 5,000 feet in Colorado. I just don't think they can be beat. They cost a bit more than others, but if you can get 70-80,000 miles out of them, that's still a great value.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a set of the Michelins XLT All-Terrains, good tires. They are on my sons truck at the moment. And yes, I have taken them off-raoding and thye did pretty well. However tehy are more of a street tire, and would meet your requirements.

Most tire manufactures have some sort of rating on thier web-site. They rate the tires ability to handle rain, snow, how much road nosie, etc.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM
mallardx is an unknown quantity at this point

I put Toyo Open Country's on my 99 Blazer and could not be happier - they were what my dealer recommended, he's been in the business 25 years. I live in Colorado and drive through snow, but mostly on paved roads, about 5% dirt roads and 4wd, they work great in the mountains.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in Colorado? I grew up in Frisco.

I have heard lots of good reviews of those Toyos.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
mallardx is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Erie just east of Boulder, near Lafayette. I sure do like Frisco.