2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

checking codes on 95?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member
blzn95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default checking codes on 95?

So Im tinkering with my new blazer, and I realize that the cel does not illuminate for a few seconds when you turn the key to the on position, so someone has either taken it out, (probobly a dealer somewhere down the line) or ithas blown. (unlikely.)
My question is, and I do beleive this is an obd 1 truck, how do I read the codes? Im almost positive it should have one, considering the iacv has gone bad.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: checking codes on 95?

95 is a hybrid called obd1.5 it was the year they started implementing obd2 systems not all obd2 readers will work (im sure someone else will chime in with more specific info)

Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Beginning Member

hmmm...obd 1.5? haha I wonder if theres asocketfor a code reader or what? Im sure someone will help me out...

Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look under the dash by the steering wheel? There should be one there that (I believe) looks like the one for an OBD II system. It requires a scanner that specifies that it will read the OBD 1.5 since not all scanners will.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, Im not at home now but Ill check it out tomarrow, but lets say it is obd 1, how would I check the codes?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have OBD1, the paper clip method works great. Check out TroubleCodes.net for how to do that. If you have the OBD2 plug under the dash, then you are likely the OBD1.5 setup and will need a compatible scan tool.

There really was the potential for 3 different systems in 95. The first is the OBD1 setup which has the ECU under the dash and has an OBD1 plug under the driver side dash. The 2nd is what is referred to as OBD1.5 and still has the ECU under the dash, but has the OBD2 port under the driver side dash. The OBD1.5 systems were a mix of OBD1 and OBD2 controls to comply with emissions standards enforced during that year. The 3rd is a true OBD2 system which has the PCM under the hood on the passenger side inner fender.

GM OBD1 Information - TroubleCodes.net
OBD2 Information - TroubleCodes.net

Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Beginning Member

Well, it looks like I have the obd2 style plug under the dash. So I guess I need the compatible scanner, it was funny when I asked the kid at autozone if he could scan my truck, I told him it was obd 1.5 and he argued with me for like 10 min cause obd 1.5 doesnt exist and Im a retard haha, I didnt have the truck with me or I woulda showed him the plug, even though theres no way its there cause its a 95.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The name OBD 1.5 is just kind of an accepted term. I don't think GM ever used it in their documentation, just OBD and OBD II.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

OBD1 and OBD2 were standards specifications. There is no real OBD1.5. That is what we call the bastard spawn of OBD1 and OBD2 that is in quite a few 1995 GM vehicles.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
1991whiteoutblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

1994 too...My '94 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.4 DOHC had it.

Quick Reply: checking codes on 95?