1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1984 S10 Blazer 4x4 2.8 L Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM
84blaserMarine is on a distinguished road
Default 1984 S10 Blazer 4x4 2.8 L Assistance

Hi everyone. Thank you for allowing me to be here.

I recently acquired an 84 S10 Blazer 4x4. Was in pretty rough shape. Missing a front freeze plug, radiator looked almost empty. Coolant overflow bottle had a huge hole in it.

Has all mismatched 17" tires with AMR Racing Wheels (About a 40 percent offset Like a skateboard).

In any case. I was told it was running. The other day After I replaced the Freeze plug with a temp freeze plug and filled the radiator with water (Will be drained several times before I add actual coolant.

After about ten attempts of placing gas in the carb we got it running. It sounded good.

Yesterday tried again, no start.

So, first question is this. How do I check to see that the fuel pump under the exhaust manifold is working properly or can I?

Second question, can you go with an electric fuel pump? That thing is in a terrible location.

I suspect it needs replacing but want to confirm.

Realize I need to change plugs, wires, etc but it ran, so I know its getting the spark it needs.

POST SCRIPT: The 4x4 works as I tested it and it is tough to shift but works. I drive it into my back yard and let it run for about 30 mins the other day, now, nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention, there are hoses that are not connected, as in ac hoses etc. I plugged the ones I thought may be vacuum. There is no breather/air cleaner assembly, but as I said it started and ran fine after it warmed up.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:31 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the old school way of checking a mechanical fuel pump was make sure there is gas in the tank, disconnect the metal line coming off the pump into the carb at the carb and put a hose on it going into a container or some sort, now crank away at the engine, if the gas starts pumping out the fuel pump works. if its not getting gas into the engine when its hooked up to the carb then you have a stuck float or something wrong with the carb.

and yeah you can run a electric pump i did it on my old 85. just make sure you use one that is rated for a carb, i originally hooked one up that was out of a fuel injection and it was like a waterfall coming out of the carb lol.

forgot the exact specs but it should only put out like 4 or 5 psi of pressure for the electric pump

also if that truck has been sitting more then 2 years you probably want to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
the old school way of checking a mechanical fuel pump was make sure there is gas in the tank, disconnect the metal line coming off the pump into the carb at the carb and put a hose on it going into a container or some sort, now crank away at the engine, if the gas starts pumping out the fuel pump works. if its not getting gas into the engine when its hooked up to the carb then you have a stuck float or something wrong with the carb.

and yeah you can run a electric pump i did it on my old 85. just make sure you use one that is rated for a carb, i originally hooked one up that was out of a fuel injection and it was like a waterfall coming out of the carb lol.

forgot the exact specs but it should only put out like 4 or 5 psi of pressure for the electric pump

also if that truck has been sitting more then 2 years you probably want to drain the tank and put fresh gas in it.
I appreciate that very much!! When I get the opportunity I will try that out.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Default Redeux

Checked it again yesterday and I believe with a new set of wires plugs and maybe a solenoid (New one) she will likely fire right up.

I played with the wires yesterday and was able to get her started with a little work. So I do not think at this point it is the fuel pump.

I have uploaded a pic, we shall see if it is attached.

She is ugly right now, but she is mine.

Attached Thumbnails 1984 S10 Blazer 4x4 2.8 L Assistance-84blazer.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

good looking truck, the old faded patina trucks are all the rage now a days anyways.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by abig84
good looking truck, the old faded patina trucks are all the rage now a days anyways.
Thanks Buddy, Im thinking she'll buff out just fine

Repaired the wiper control arm, eight turn signal, and other things yesterday.

New wheels and tires and windshield and shes all set.

Have a safe and Happy Independence Day!