1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1984 s10 loss of power possible water in engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Starting Member
sammm is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1984 s10 loss of power possible water in engine?

Went off roading today and I was splashing through puddles and stuff havin a good time when I got to an intersection in the trial I was on I stopped to discuss which way we should go with my buddy. Once we decided which way to go the engine had like no power it was like we were trying to go with the e brake on but it wasn't, we finally go it to move after revving super high (like 3500- 4000+ rpms) and lettin out the clutch a bit then pushing it back in to bring the rpms up and back out again and so on until I got it moving once moving I had to pump the gas petal with to keep it moving. then we made it back to the main road I was able to put it in second and keep pumping the gas pedal with high rpms tried third and not enough power so went back to second still not quite enough power to keep it going so back to first got up speed back to second gained a little more speed but still not enough power to make it around corners and up small hills so shifting back and forth between first and second to keep it going finally got to the point were first gear at 4000+ rpms wasnt enough to keep it going so I pulled off the road to popped the hood yet again to check vitals and found droplets of water around the intake to the carb. and on the dip stick. so now I'm thinking these where all signs of some water getting into the engine and I want to know what you guys think

Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, that's a loooooong sentence!

While water getting into the intake is plenty bad, if it doesn't immediately break or bend something internally, it's not going to linger around causing trouble.

I would think that water probably got into the distributor/ignition system. If this is the case, you can either remove the cap and wipe it dry, and dry out the sparkplug boots, or it will burn off shortly, and it will be back to normal.

Did this just happen, or has this problem stuck around for awhile?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Starting Member
sammm is on a distinguished road

yah it was a looong sentence I was just trying to get all the info in there that I could think of. but no it just did this today, i thought of that too but when i was looking at it there was no sign of the distr. getting wet and i figured what was in the boots would have evaporated by the time I stopped the last time. oh also i would rev it pretty high and i would get a hint of white smoke and its smelt like a lawn mover

Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Check your oil, and the level. is it higher than normal, does it look weird? (milkshake)