1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1987 2.8l help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM
d8d
Beginning Member
d8d is on a distinguished road
Default 1987 2.8l help!!

hey guys im new here

but i cant find what belongs on the driver side valve cover if it has a PCV or not, i just have a hose there from when i bought it and it looks stock, but oil likes to come out it, just reparied my valve cover gaskets so they dont seem to leak, i assume the driver side valve cover needs a PCV valve aswell like the pasasnger side.

can one of you confirm this and tell me that the hose that gets connected to the PCV valve on the driver side (if it needs one) goes to the fitting on the back of the intake ??

Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One side should have a PCV valve in it that should run to the intake manifold for its vacuum source. The other side should just have a line that runs up to the air cleaner somewhere. This line will provide the make up air to the engine.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
d8d
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
One side should have a PCV valve in it that should run to the intake manifold for its vacuum source. The other side should just have a line that runs up to the air cleaner somewhere. This line will provide the make up air to the engine.
also oil seems to come from out this hose when i orginally got this unit becuase this line hasnt been connected to the air cleaner at all since ive owned it cause the hose didnt fit, but oil seems to come out from it thats why i was wondering if i need another pcvs ont he driver side valve cover, but i guess not coool thx

but the hose that is in the driver side valve cover wont fit on the location from air cleaner??
is there sum type of connection, ive tried and tried to find a diagram or a picture of how it should look or the part??

Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i have a 85 and im pretty sure it was the passenger side that went to the air cleaner. but no it should just slide right on, id go take a pic but its to dark

Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 PM
d8d
Beginning Member

no the way my egr sytems requires the passanger side, but im sure the driver side line must go to the air cleaner setup but still not 100% sure, i just dont wanna hook it up and have oil start going into my intake from the air cleaner so that why i wonder if it require 2 PCV valves but weird the EGR system diagram should show that
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
im stumped i could really use a pic i cant find one

Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 PM
BF Veteran

ill go out and take one really quick.. dont know how they will turn out

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran

ok heres the pics. passenger side just has a tube that goes right into the side of the air cleaner

driverside goes to a T. One lines goes to the back side of the carb and the other one goes into like a 1/4 hose that goes who the heck knows where

85 s10 pick up 2.8 carb

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Beginning Member
tred2587 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok dude i have the answer to your question i own an 86 chevy with the same throttle body system as you do. the first gentleman was correct its a plastic pip that is in an L shape that hooks up to your air cleaner that vacuums air. you can fit a regular hose in there and towards the air cleaner since the plastic pipe is hard to come by. is alot of oil coming out of the hose and how does it come out. does it excrete the oil while its facing upwards or just downwards???

Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
d8d
Beginning Member

thx for the pics

i should have been a little more specific saying my blazer is fuel injected..but thanks again i understand now

the hose right now only leaks oil out of it when it really warm and when the hose faces down wards

thx for the help i knew sumthing was up with this hose,

what does this L shaped piece look like?? or should i jsut use a hose that fits on the air cleaner?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran

Ha yea its cool. Its just habit. Most the s10s I owned were carbed

Quick Reply: 1987 2.8l help!!