1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1987 s10 blazer 4x4 just replaced the body and interior wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
incbed is on a distinguished road
Default 1987 s10 blazer 4x4 just replaced the body and interior wiring harness

I first want to warn everyone my writing skills aren't the best.

Ok I have a 1987 S10 Blazer 4x4 2.8 manual transmission that I flipped wile 4 wheeling. So I went to my local junk yard and got a whole new body for $300. The body is a 1987 GMC instead of a chevrolet and an automatic ,but had all the same options as mine. So I figured I would just change the interior harness from the chevrolet to the GMC and install the manual transmission pedal assembly and use the engine harness that is attached to my engine and cut the hole in the floor boards for the trans and change the steering column.
Well I now have switched the bodies installed the manual trans interior harness,installed the dash hooked up the engine wiring harness to computer and steering column.
My question is I have found that there is two different connections that are different one inside the cab and one out side the cab at the fire wall.
Also I had to cut the large group of wires that go under the carpet because there was no disconnector when removing the fuse box and so forth.

One of my questions is ,,,, does the fuel pump harness run inside of the cab to the back of the cab to there is a disconnect plug ??? or does it run under the cab from outside??? Reason I ask is I tried to start it just to make sure I had everything hooked up properly under the dash before I put all the screws in the dash and steering column. I also did not have the wires spliced in that go under the carpet to the back because i thought they were only for the rear lights,speaker and power windows. BUT it will start when sprayed with carb cleaner.

Second question that has to do with one of the two different connectors,, there is a large purple single wire with a flat male plug that comes from under the carpet on the GMC body, but on the chevrolet body there is a small black single wire that comes from under the carpet so of course on the under dash harness from the chevrolet I used it has a small black single wire that has nothing to plug into now. So I nee to know do I need to worry about this plug or just not worry about it and what does the large purple plug in the GMC do???

And the third question that has to do with the second connector that is on the firewall. So on the Chevrolet it has a small white single wire that comes out from the inside of the cab threw the firewall just below the wiper motor and connects to the exterior harness. Well the GMC does not have this wire coming out of the fire wall. Also on the chevrolet that whit wire goes to the back of a plug that has two other wires in the back of it also.The plug it a female three slot. What does this do or do I not need to worry about it.

I would be grateful if someone can help me and also send me a wiring diagram just to make sure that I have everything connected properly because the owner before me had sdone some splicing to the under dash harness beside the clutch pedal.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Default 1987 s10 blazer 4x4 wiring

I do want to say that I am mechanically inclined I am just trying to make my wiring process a little faster kind of like finding a short cut instead of taking hours to track down and follow wires plus really don't want to have to pull up the carpet to follow the wires. Basically I am trying to get what help I can before I go home today and start working on the wiring again.

Any help well be nice

Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Default I finished and have it running like before.

I finished yesterday afternoon with no problems it runs like before.

Thanks I guess?????